• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

bricks in the smoker

Started by sterlingpriceporker, November 14, 2009, 09:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterlingpriceporker

I've seen some pic's of foil covered bricks in the smoker...is this to add more heat?  ???
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

Hopefull Romantic

The foil wrapped bricks help in the temperature recovery and also adds more heat.

The bricks should be pre heated prior to putting them in the smoker; in the oven or grill. Be extra careful, they are HOT.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

I use two foil covered bricks on a shelf on the lowest rack.  I've only preheated in the oven (400) 2 or three times when it was particularly cold and windy.  The preheated bricks help reduce the OBS preheat time as does putting boiling water in the water bowl.  As HR said, be careful handling the brick(s)

The bricks provide mass to hold heat.  This helps temp recovery after opening and closing the door.  On the other hand, try not to open and close the door too much.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

sterlingpriceporker

thanks, i just added a brick the my "smoking turkey" I'm thinking that well let me get to 200 temp. I've had the smoker going for 2 hrs and haven't gotten about 200.
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

Quarlow

Patience grasshopper, all good things come with time(and money) it will happen, just let it do it's thing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Even if you preheat to 250 or so, putting a big hunk of meat in will drop the temp a lot.  After all, it's cold.  Once the meat starts warming up and some moisture leaves the cabinet through the vent, the temp will start rising faster.
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

The motto here is low and slow. You just have to be patient. It may take some time but the outcome is rewarding

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Savannahsmoker

I have bricks in my Traeger.  Helps stabilize the temperature.

JGW

I think a soapstone brick would work great in the bradley.  Kind of pricey at $17 ish per brick, but I've been thinking about getting one or two.  

Speaking of soapstone....If you ever find cookware made of it....buy it.  Great stuff.  

Savannahsmoker

I use left over bricks from the fireplace build.  Cost 0.00

ArnieM

JGW - I (think) I've heard of soapstone used for flooring and counter tops.  What the heck is soapstone cookware?   ??? ??? I use mainly cast iron and some SS.
-- Arnie

BigFella

I have an uncovered (no foil) brick that was leftover from a neighbor's project.  I leave it in the smoker all the time pretty much... Should probably cover it in foil in case it gets drippings on it. Whoops!

This brick has made a big difference for me in recovery time of the cabinet.  I can be back up around 225 from 190-200 in less than 10 minutes or so...

pensrock

I have unwrapped fire bricks in my Bradley, we build furnaces so my cost was $0.00. I see no need to wrap them, IMHO. I also never take them out to heat them up, I just preheat the smoker 20-50 hotter than planned operating temp, when preheated, I put the meat in and drop the temp setting. Thats it. I can see the benefit of heating them then putting into the smoker, shorter heat up time, but I'm in no hurry and will not get burned handling hot bricks. Also the bricks will lose a lot of heat during the transfer time. Both ways work fine, its all how you want to do it.

ArnieM

My bricks are on the bottom-most shelf.  They do get greasy.  So, I change the foil from time to time to avoid grease soaked bricks.
-- Arnie

JGW

Quote from: ArnieM on November 14, 2009, 03:58:19 PM
JGW - I (think) I've heard of soapstone used for flooring and counter tops.  What the heck is soapstone cookware?   ??? ??? I use mainly cast iron and some SS.
Arnie,

It's cookware made of soapstone...you know pots, griddles, etc.  Think of a pot or pan made of rock.  Hold temps well, so low flame is almost a requirement.  Most of it's imported, but if you do a search on "soapstone cookware", you'll surely get some pictures.

Cast Iron rocks too.  Good investment, that if treated right, can be willed to someone.   ;D  I have a big cast iron skillet that is used for making roux and what not.