• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Deer Hunt

Started by dbrown1, November 10, 2009, 09:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Quote from: Fuzzybear on December 14, 2009, 07:20:07 AM
Kevin,

Not a cop - just a poor old working slob working for the man - how did your hunt go?

Could've went better, had a shot at a nice one, but he was out about 400 yards and running. I ended up with a spike. Half in my belly now, the other half waiting to get there.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Fuzzybear

Congratulations man - I had a shot at a 4 x 4 but missed on the second day of hunting  back in November and never saw another buck for the next two weeks nor did I see one for my late season - I wish those tags came with a refund if you didn't bag one! ;D

KevinG

I agree on the refund thing. It's been a rough year for deer out here. So far I'm the only one out of 20 that I've talked to that got one. December hunt is still going though, three more to hear from.

Fuzzybear

Maybe I should be an archery; muzzle loader and modern firearm tag!  That would certainly give me an edge but then I have to go and invest more money in a new rifle and archery stuff - wouldn't offset the cost of the deer!

OU812

Quote from: Fuzzybear on December 15, 2009, 07:25:13 AM
Maybe I should be an archery; muzzle loader and modern firearm tag!  That would certainly give me an edge but then I have to go and invest more money in a new rifle and archery stuff - wouldn't offset the cost of the deer!

No archery, muzzle loader or modern firearm?

What are you huntin with a Pistol?

classicrockgriller

Went to camp Friday nite and hunted thru monday nite all afternoon hunts (for some reason I couldn't make the morning hunts).

Saw 13 deer and all but one were Does. Will give it one more trip for a buck and then it's Doe harvest. Might try and hunt a morning or two. ;D

KevinG

Quote from: OU812 on December 15, 2009, 07:31:31 AM
Quote from: Fuzzybear on December 15, 2009, 07:25:13 AM

No archery, muzzle loader or modern firearm?

What are you huntin with a Pistol?

Or could be like that movie, the men who stare at goats.

Fuzzybear

Using a Tika .270 for my deer - I was just saying instead of buying 1 (modern firearm) I should buy all three and improve my odds and hunt 12 weeks instead of 4! Pistol is included in modern firearm.  We can't take a doe - have to "draw" for a doe tag and pay extra on top of the "buck' tag.

classicrockgriller

Most counties in Texas you can shoot two bucks and two does. Doe season ends the weekend after Thanksgiving unless you are on a game management program
and then you can take your does anytime thru the season. Our club is on the game management.

Oct is open for Bow hunting. General Hunting Season starts first weekend in Nov thru 1st week of Jan you can harvest with any weapon you choose. Jan has a 2 week black powder season. And then if not enough Does have been taken , they will reopen for 10 days or so. (two weeks ends and the connecting week).

If you are on game management, you management tags override your state doe tags and you can Harvest as many as the land owner will allow you.

All our Buck Tags and Doe Tags are part of our hunting license and mine cost me $35 a year.

OU812

Quote from: Fuzzybear on December 15, 2009, 03:39:27 PM
Using a Tika .270 for my deer - I was just saying instead of buying 1 (modern firearm) I should buy all three and improve my odds and hunt 12 weeks instead of 4! Pistol is included in modern firearm.  We can't take a doe - have to "draw" for a doe tag and pay extra on top of the "buck' tag.

Gotcha.

I havent seen anything worth shooting yet for muzzle loader season but I havent been trying very hard, yet.

KevinG

Just kidding Fuzzybear, knew what you were saying. CRG that's just not right, you guys need to scare them deer out my way so I can bag a couple per year. We're only allowed one per year, and it's gotta be a buck (that's archery, muzzleloader or Rifle).

Fuzzybear

Ditto that in Washington Kevin!  Normally, they are like rats in the sewer's of New York but the last two winters really took their toll on the buggers.  I'm not even seeing any marmots; cougar; moose; pheasants this year.  Have seen some mice but their population is down too.  Limited amount of hawks - even the Raven population is down which is weird for scavenger birds.  ah well, maybe they'll grow fat for next season!