• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boneless Lamb Leg Roast

Started by Phoneguy, April 23, 2010, 10:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoneguy

I have a 1.9 kg Lamb Roast I want to do up for some friends that are coming for dinner tomorrow night....

For a rub I am thinking of Course and fine Dijon mustard, garlic, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and pepper ground up into a paste and slathered on

I need some advice for cooking, what temp for the smoker (DBS)? Straight on the racks, or should I put it in a foil tray? What should the internal temperature be when it is done, and approx how long should I allow for this to cook?

I am thinking something like 250 for 8 hours?

Thanks
     James

ArnieM

Hi James,

The rub sounds good.  I might add a few mint leaves and put the whole mess into a food processor to make the paste.  I tend to go a little heavy on the garlic  :D

How long?  You know the answer - 'til it's done.  Eight hours sounds like a long time.  I like lamb medium-rare so I'd pull it at an IT of about 140.  Or, even lower and then FTC it for a while.  Then put it in the oven, uncovered, at 350 to bring up the temp to where you want it.  Better finish on the skin and fat that way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I picked up a 4 pounder at Sam's over lunch and am planning the exact same thing...

Dijon, garlic, more garlic, rosemary, EVOO, lemon juice, parsley and Mexican oregano - blend into a paste.

The parsley and oregano give it a Chimichurri spin.

FLBentRider

I'm with Arnie I think 8 hours would be a bit much.

That is a tender cut of meat, I'd go 250F until an IT of 140F and FTC.

It does sound good.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

When I smoke lamb roast, I smoke/roasted it at 225°F until an internal temperature of 130°F, then finish it off under a broiler until it hits about 135°F to give it a crust. The over carry will bring it up to about 140°F, while it is resting.

The last time I used a paste mixture of mint, Italian parsley, garlic and other ingredients. When you get your paste will processed, add a well beaten egg white from one egg. That will improve the crust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

I've roasted a lot of lamb but never in the smoker yet.  So, y'all got me thinking.  What wood would I use?  Oak seems a little harsh.  Maybe pecan, alder or apple?  Any suggestions?

I wanted lamb for Easter but got overruled for ham, and it was good.  But, I still have my hankering for lamb.  The good news is that my butcher gets 'em from the farmer across town.  The bad news is that it's kinda pricey.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Phoneguy

I'm going to mix apple and special I think, about 1.5 to 2 hours worth

Habanero Smoker

I use 1:20 hours of either pecan or oak, but prefer oak. To me niether of these are harsh, and lamb does have a strong flavor.

Here is a post started by StillSmoking:

Lamb

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Phoneguy

Well, it turned out great. 1:20 with special mix. Started it at 1:15, after having it sit in rub overnight in the fridge. Straight on the rack with a drip pan on the next rack down. 220F. At around 4:30 I was worried that it might be done to soon (dinner at 7 - 7:30) so I lowered the temp to 200, at 5:30 put the temp up to 210 cause it slowed down a bit to much..At around 6:15 I brought it in, put a bit more rub on and broiled it in the oven, and when crusted brought it up to 135 - 140 with straight heat.

Nice tender meat, slight smokey taste, dinner was definitely a hit! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

James