• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking woods

Started by spaceman spiff, May 29, 2005, 01:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceman spiff

I read that you're not to use pinion for smoking.  Why???  Is it toxic or does it just taste bad.  How about juniper or pine??  Is there a good book or list of woods that I could read up on?  Thanks!!!

oguard

Spaceman Welcome to the forum I don't know about the other woods but pine will be bitter[xx(][xx(].If you go to the sticky(For your added pleasure) at the top of the page and then goto the website Olds has got going on it will show what woods go best with what foods.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Bad Flynch

All of the woods that you have listed contain either pitch, tar, turpentine, or resins that make them entirely unsuitable for smoking food. Some would be considered poisonous in addition to producing unpalatable food. Use only hard, sweet woods like hickory, pecan, apple, etc.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, SS!  Heed the advice about not using soft woods for smoking! [xx(][xx(][xx(].  The link Olds just posted for your was put together by BSolomon and will give you a good starting point for your wood choices.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA