Smoking Brisket and water pan

Started by n4khq, June 27, 2010, 06:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4khq

I am planning my first brisket. I plan to smoke about 4 hours. I read the water pan is to extinguish the pucks, When I am through smoking, will I need to keep water in the pan. Does the bradley evaporate water like traditional smoker or will one pan last 10 hours?

Thanks

GusRobin

I do the following when cooking a brisket or a butt.
I use a larger aluminum pan (the throwaway kind) and fill it about 1/2 to 2/3 with water. After the smoke is done I change out the water. My briskets are usually about 13 lbs and take anywhere from 17-23 hours. So I change the water one more time when I go to bed at night. Aside from catching the pucks, the water catches the grease from the meat. I change often to avoid a pan that is mostly grease and more of  fire hazard. Not sure it would easily start on fire, but I feel it is easy to change often and be safe. I have installed the second element and use hot water so my recovery times are short .
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Change your water after the smoke time and then check your water about every 6 hrs.

I replace my water bowl with a 9 x 13 disposable cake pan and then I don't have to worry about it.

And ditto on what Gus wrote.

n4khq

Gone to wal-mart to get the cake pan. Sounds like it will help with cleanup of the tray the original bowel sat on.

Thanks