• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help - Need to smoke a 4lb Brisket and 2 Baby Racks together

Started by pokerdave, July 03, 2010, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokerdave

Going to eat these tomorrow afternoon. Will FTC prior. Thoughts on when to start, how long to go?

Planning to rub the brisket with dry rub and put in a bag in the fridge tonight. Have done ribs several times, but never a brisket.

Brisket above or below?

I usually use KC masterpiece on the grill to finish the ribs. Was going to try something new. Sweet Baby Rays?

FLBentRider

Does the brisket have a fat cap? It can be a challenge to get a moist brisket if the butcher trims off all the fat.

I would put the brisket above the ribs unless there are people that "don't eat pork" that will be eating the brisket.

I found SBR to be a little on the sweet side for me, it has a high sugar content so watch them closely.

The brisket is going to take several hours longer than the ribs.

I would probably start them at the same time and take the ribs out before the "finish on the grill" stage, FTC them until the brisket is almost done, and finish them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

humanpest

Its been a hot minute since I've cooked a brisket, but I generally assume 1-1.5 hours per pound at 225-250, so figure 4-6 hours for your brisket, leaning towards 6... (I defer to other posters on that one) And some time for FTC. (You can hold it for a pretty damned long time)

Your brisket is going to drop a bit of fat. Normally I'd say put the brisket on top of the ribs, so the fat drops down (What I do with the pork butt). I don't think its going to be a game changer either way though.

pokerdave

It does have a fat cap on one side. Can't tell how thick really in the packaging... Not very thick would be my guess but there is some...

ArnieM

Just my opinion.

Brisket on top, fat cap up.  I figure on 1.5 or a little more hours per pound.  I've started pulling at an IT of 185 and then an FTC.  It seems to come out moister.

The back ribs should take 5 hours or so,  Again, go by look and feel.  Be real careful with that sweet sauce on the grill.  They can get black really quick.  Use medium heat.

I'd start the brisket about an hour before the ribs.  They should finish up around the same time.

This is not an exact science.  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

waterkc

I have to say I did kinda what ArnieM stated last brisket. I pulled it at 180° and FTC'd for about 2 hours. Was not bad, I am still working on my brisket skills. Good luck and send us some pics
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

monty

just a heads up on Sweet Baby Rays - a lot of their sauces have tons of liquid smoke. if you use their sauces on meats that have been smoked in the Bradley i think you'll find the smoke flavors don't quite mesh. my 2 cents...
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

ArnieM

Brisket temp - I'd rather go to 180-185 as waterkc said.  It might be a bit firmer though moister.  It'll coast up a few degrees in the FTC.

Sauce on the ribs - I'm with monty; the smoke and sauce might clash.  I make my own sauce.  Tomorrow's ribs will be dry with sauce on the side if anyone wants it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Uncle Pigfat

I'm not a sweet baby ray's fan at all.  It's super sweet and their smoke flavor is....weird.  If you want a good store bought sauce, Stubb's Original would be the way I would (and do) go.  Their spicy is really good as well.  I usually look at the ingredients in the store and if I see high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient on the sauce it goes right back on the shelf.  I prefer to make my own sauce though.

pokerdave

Thanks guys. Had already been to the store and gotten the Sweet Baby Rays when I got your suggestions, but I also got some Jack Daniels #7 (wife had a coupon and I've had it before and like it ). Did a batch of split breasts last night just on the grill and the SBR's was great on those.

Will use the Jack Daniels with some of the ribs and leave some dry.

Appreciate the input...

pokerdave

OK, here we go... just put the Brisket in... had some issues this morning with my ribs... had the usual odor when you open the vacuum pack, but one rack looked a much lighter color than the rest. The odor didn't go away quickly like it usually does either. I've had these in the deep freezer for 6 months and had thawed them once and then got rained out and after a few days froze them again... Anyway, decided a 4th of July food poisoning wasn't going to be a big hit, so pitched $30 worth of ribs, ran to Kroger and started over... Just 2 racks now, which is what I thought I had thawed in the first place...

Am taking pictures and will document my progress, but how do I post them??? I hit the insert image button and it just gives a start/stop tag set...

humanpest

Upload them to something like picasa, then copy/paste the URL to the picture in those tags. I dont think Bradley allows you to upload directly to the site.