• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smokin for 25 People

Started by RobG4, July 08, 2010, 02:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobG4

Hello all,

I have a party planned on Sunday for @25 guests for the World Cup Final.

My plan is 20 lbs of butts for pulled pork for approx 30 hours in the OBS 4 Rack Smoker.

I have a few questions though if ya'll don't mind!

1. How many hours of smoke should I use for 20 lbs during +/- 30 hours in the smoker?
2. Any recommendations on using the vent? (open all the way, closed, partial, etc)
3. Any good dry rub recipes that aren't terribly spicy? The ones I see recommended most are heavy on the cayenne. Most Georgia pulled pork that I have had has no cayenne or spicyness in the pork at all (in the sauce yes).
4. For typical Georgia style pulled pork you get from BBQ shacks, how do they prepare the butts before putting in the smoker?

Thanks!

GusRobin

My opinion:

1. How many hours of smoke should I use for 20 lbs during +/- 30 hours in the smoker?
I wouldn't use more than 4-6 hrs. There is differing opinion on the benefit after that. I am not sure it will take 30 hours. I did 2 8 pounders that took 20 hours. If you don't have the dual element installed, you may want to put in a couple of bricks wrapped in foil (heat them first) to help maintain the temperature. Avoid opening the smoker -"if you're looking you ain't cookin".
2. Any recommendations on using the vent? (open all the way, closed, partial, etc)
I always cook with mine wide open so I can't give any other opinion.
3. Any good dry rub recipes that aren't terribly spicy? The ones I see recommended most are heavy on the cayenne. Most Georgia pulled pork that I have had has no cayenne or spicyness in the pork at all (in the sauce yes).
Go to the recipe site and try Jan's rub -
4. For typical Georgia style pulled pork you get from BBQ shacks, how do they prepare the butts before putting in the smoker?
Don't know, I slather with yellow mustard and add the rub. Let it sit out for an hour to warm up a bit.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

3 to 4 hours of  smoke, mesquite, hickory  and top it off with a cherry smoke at the  end
vent 1/2 to 3/4 open
season it with a coat of paprika, peper, salt, granulated garlic, and dry mustard
cook at box temp of 205 to 210 till an it of 190... should almost fall apart

in bottom bowl replace with orange soda, root beer or other  flavoured drink

might  take 20 to 30 hours 

classicrockgriller

DTAggie

Welcome Rob,

I did two butts totaling 17 lbs for the fourth and one took 19 hrs and one took 21 hrs.  If you have a rub you like, just leave out the cayenne.  I used Jan's without the cayenne on one.  Butt can handle some spicy rub and not be real spicy after cooking.  The other I used a commercial rub.  I did the Jan's brisket with a mustard sauce rub and it had the better bark.

I say 6 hrs smoke! I cooked to an IT of 195* then FTC for about 3 hrs

Habanero Smoker

For butts The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt - Memphis Rub is my hands down favorite. As mentioned if you don't like cayenne just leave it out or reduce it. My favorite smoke flavor for pork is pecan.

The Renowned Mr. Brown
1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for at least one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Note: Turbinado Sugar is also called Raw Sugar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

Welcome RobG4,
I see some good advice above...good luck!

RobG4