• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

brisket question

Started by bears fan, July 16, 2010, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I'm wanting to cook a brisket next weekend while we are out on a camping trip and I think I want to do the folowing and I want to see what everyone thinks of it.

I want to get a vac packed brisket and then cut a small slit in the package and then put a funnel into the package and put a mixture of of vinegar with some sort of spices (thinking Jan's rub since I got some mixed up already) mixed with it.  I will let it sit in this vinegar/spice mixture for approximately a week before taking out and smoking.  I'm thinking this vinegar mixture is just turning it into a corned beef, right?

Anyway, a friend told me that is how he does his and it has turned out excellent.

What is everyone's thoughts?

classicrockgriller

DarqMan

I believe corned beef is typically a brisket that has been soaked in a brine mixture i.e: water, salt, sugar and various other spices.  I've never heard of using vinagar, but then again, I've never made one personally.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

bears fan

I've had it when he made it and it was absolutely the most tender brisket.  He pulled it just like you would with a butt.

I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it comes out for me to see if I can duplicate it.  I was just curious if anyone else has done it because I didn't get much for details (some secret I guess) other than make a mixture of vinegar and spices and fill the vac bag up with it and let it sit for a week.  His secret was his father-in-laws spices (which were quite tasty but even he can't get the spice mixture out of his father-in-law), but I think any spice mixture will work.

DarqMan

Sounds interesting.  Let us know how it turns out.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned by DarqMan, corned beef is either dry or wet brined with salt and often another cure is added. I would be interested in the outcome.

Generally long marinade times in vinegar will begin to break down the proteins on the surface and chemically "cook" the meat down to about 1/4". This generally will make the surface texture very "mushy".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bears fan

I will talk to him again today to find out how long to keep it in the vinegar.  That would make since Habs why it was so tender if vinegar starts to break down the meat.  The key may be to not keep it in there to long.  I will keep everyone posted on this experiment.

squirtthecat

Yeah, let us know.  This does sound interesting.

bears fan

I will sure keep everyone posted.  Just confirmed that my buddy would leave the vinegar/sugar cure mixture in the vac bagged brisket for about a week.  So, I'm going to get it mixed up today for a smoke next Friday.

Habanero Smoker

The vinegar shouldn't tenderize the meat all the way through. It may go about 1/4 inch deep. Definately let us know the outcome.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)