Kummok's brine on trout.

Started by Smokeville, September 05, 2010, 01:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Go some trout at a good price ($5.99/lb) so plan to give it a go tonight and smoke tomorrow.

Rainbow trout are thinner than salmon so we shall see.

Habanero Smoker

For trout, you should also check out this recipe. His trout is much thicker, so you will need to reduce the brining time.
Smoked Trout

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Thanks HS;

I used Kummok's brine overnight. The next batch I'll try this one.

Rich

Kummok

Great recipe, Habs.....wonder what's happened to Boutch???

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Kummok on September 06, 2010, 09:55:45 AM
Great recipe, Habs.....wonder what's happened to Boutch???

I sometimes think about what he is doing. He hasn't logged on for over two years. I smoked some trout in June using his recipe. Usually in late May or early June trout usually is plentiful in the stores and the price drops. I hate to say it the only trout I can get is farmed raised.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Trout turned out GREAT!

A deeper colour than usual due to the soya and extra brown sugar (I use demerara).

Kummok

Good to hear that, Rich. That same brine recipe has also been used very successfully on moose....(wild moose, not farmed moose, Habs!  ;) ;)  )

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on September 06, 2010, 09:05:14 PM
Good to hear that, Rich. That same brine recipe has also been used very successfully on moose....(wild moose, not farmed moose, Habs!  ;) ;)  )

Anything else it would work well on? I think with chicken it would be too salty since chicken seems to really suck up whatever is in the brine..... but perhaps brining for a shorter time would work.

Kummok

Haven't used it on venison or caribou (Yet!) but assume it would be as good as the moose was. Only way to be certain is to try it (and post results ;) )