• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Carbon Monoxide Question

Started by mtim, September 09, 2010, 06:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtim

If you are using an electric smoker I would think you only have to worry about carbon monoxide during the smoke.  Here is my question.  I have an enclosed area from my cellar that sits at the bottom of my outside stairs.  During the winter couldn't I put the smoker in this area  with the door to the cellar closed and have my bilko doors cracked open during the smoke and then after the smoke close them and open the door to the cellar to let in the heat without worrying about co2?

TestRocket

I don't know about the co2 but I do know several of the forum members have their Bradley's inside and use something like a dryer vent hose to vent the smoke to the outside. Someone that has done that will be along as the day goes by and post a link or PIC of how they did it. Good luck!

ExpatCanadian

In my opinion, you would be absolutely fine with your plan, with ventilation necessary really only to vent the smoke and humidity produced by the smoker.  There simply isn't enough inefficient (oxygen starved) combustion going on to produce anywhere near the amount of CO that would be necessary to harm you.  If in doubt, or complete peace of mind buy yourself a cheapo CO Detector for that area... the kind you can just plug into an outlet and forget about.  That example is a bit pricey, but there are cheaper ones...

Good luck!

BuyLowSellHigh

Like the others, with normal ventilation I suspect your CO risk is very low.  The other risk you need to consider is one of grease fire inside the smoker.  It is rare, but it has happened.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

I agree the CO risk is low.  Put a fan behind the smoker to help the smoke out of the cracked doors. 

You should have a couple of CO detectors anyways.  Better safe than dead.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mtim

RAF128

You need to vent the smoker outside.    I use my smoker in the garage.   At first I tried setting it up infront of a window and putting a fan in the window to suck the smoke out the window.   Well, it didn't work very well.   I now have it vented.   I'd show you a picture but photo bucket is down right now.    Maybe later.