• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Unwanted company.

Started by StickyDan, September 27, 2010, 06:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

The mental images playing in my head right now have me just about falling out of my chair because I am laughing so hard.  Yep, that was bad day and deserves well more than a beer.  At least your wife ended up in a humored mood, and that may have been worth it.

As I read this I recalled that my LL Bean Game and Fish Cookbook (c. 1983) had a section on Raccoon (along with Opossum, Beaver and Muskrat).  So I got up and checked -- sure enough 5 Coon recipes.  Three are for Roast Raccoon, one for Raccoon Pie and one for Barbecued Raccoon.  The introductory comments for raccoon include details on dressing and defatting the critters and conclude with, "Dress a coon for roasting as you would a beaver".  I got a kick out of the first line in the Pie recipe, "Raccoon pie is an old country dish in the Midwest and South and can be made the same way as Squirrel Cobbler".

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

The mental image I had as I started reading it, but before getting into the meat (so to speak- no pun intended) of the post, was that commercial for glasses, contacts or something where the lady is outside calling "kitty, kitty" and (apparently somewhat blind without her glasses) lets in a coon through the sliding glass door.  Haven't had one in the house, but have had them in a "cabin" out back we have set up with antiques like a still room - i.e. lots of glass.  Man, they can make a mess and make a woman cry! 

As far as smoked coon.  Was a point in young Caney's life where he and a friend decided to make some date money and trap coon.  Did it for a year or two.  My friend did not like it so I got most of it.  Also gave much to a family that we bought tamales from.  I've grilled it, fried it and had it in a stew.  Not my favorite (it is fatty and is cousin to bear), but I ate it.   

Speaking of coon bones.  Baculum, oosik, Hillbilly toothpick - whatever you wanted to call it, I wish I had the mountain man necklace I made of probably 40 of them.  It really made me quite charming, sophisticated, and desirable to possible female girlfriend types.   >:( >:( >:(
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

StickyDan

sounds like it's time to think up a new recipe.  Squirrel cobbler sounds pretty good too.

I forget to mention that just before the fire alarm went off, I noticed that one of the light bulbs in the ceiling fan was out.  Wouldn't you know it, just I was screwing it back in and the bulb lit up, the darned fire alarm went off.  My heart stopped for a second because I thought i was getting electrocuted.  Wish I had the hole thing on Video.

RossP

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here, SD can you please keep your pets
on your side of the river, we have our own problems over here.  ;D See you soon
at Boonies, just getting the date figured out.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen