• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Virgin

Started by Brian.R, January 01, 2011, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian.R

Hi All,  I found this site yesterday and in the middle of an Alberta winter it's given me the courage to try my very first turkey.  I asked a few questions on the intro page but forgot probably an important one, when the buzzards in the smoker is it breast up or down? Nothing like trying your first turkey in the dead of winter:) God hates a coward!
Busy spoiling 3 Grandsons!!  I told the kids "pay back" was gonna be a B*tch :) and waiting impatiently for one to give me a Granddaughter. THEN you'll see Spoiling!!

Thanx,  Brian

TestRocket

Breast up for me!

Here is the one I did for Christmas:

GusRobin

I spatchcock my turkey ( cut out the back bone and lay it flat.)
Here is a thread of when I cooked a turkey.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17787.0

hope this helps
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Brian.R

They both look great!  Did you have to put it in the oven to crisp up the skin or does it come out crispy?  How long did you leave the smoke on?
Busy spoiling 3 Grandsons!!  I told the kids "pay back" was gonna be a B*tch :) and waiting impatiently for one to give me a Granddaughter. THEN you'll see Spoiling!!

Thanx,  Brian

Brian.R

What did ya put in the drip pan?

Thanx,  Brian

TestRocket

We really didn't plan to eat the skin on this bird so I didn't try to crisp it up. The pan was only to catch any drippings and I started it out dry. I ran smoke (2 apple 1 pecan) for 6 hours. I had brined the turkey for 24 hours and air dried it in the fridge overnight before the smoke. It was my first in the Bradley and it was very good!

GusRobin

I only smoked for 3 2/3 hours; cooked for a total of 7 hours and didn't due anythig with the skin since we don't really eat it anyway. Nut it wasn't soggy nor crisp. Make sure you leave your vent wide open during the cook.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Brian.R

Glad to see i did the same as you, had it in  brine for 24 hours , in the fridge now air drying (with the rub on it) ,  not really concerned about eating the skin , now i hope it turns out and looks as good as yours .  Plan on using apple wood for smoking

Thanx,  Brian

TestRocket

It should be great! Good Luck!  ;D

Brian.R

I'll let ya know how it turns out  hopefully with some pics if i can figure out how:)  been trying to figure out how to put a pic next to my name on the profile

Thanx,  Brian

TestRocket

TestRocket

Quote from: Brian.R on January 01, 2011, 07:39:55 PM
  been trying to figure out how to put a pic next to my name on the profile

I had to look it up:
Got to: Profile' Modify Profile, Forum Profile Information and you can add a personal PIC