• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Over night smokes

Started by Big_T, February 17, 2011, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

Now that I am starting to get into smoking some more "advanced" things I realize that with some cook times it might have to be done over night. Typically I have been using my OBS in the garage and being it is still winter here I don't see any other option.  Would there be any reason to note have an over night smoke in the garage for safety reasons?  I am hesitating doing it for fear I will burn down my house which with my luck who knows.   ;D  Thanks!

KyNola

Big T,
There may be some members who may disagree with me and that's OK.  I would not do an overnight smoke in my garage.  We have had a couple of instances lately of fires in a Bradley.  It's not because Bradley's are defective.  Not saying that at all.  Typically it's because one of two things happen.  Either the meat is pushed back towards the back wall and melted fat runs down on to the heating element and "poof' or the water bowl goes dry and the grease drips down into the still hot pucks and "poof".   

I wouldn't take the chance but you do what you feel good about.

GusRobin

If you do an overnighter, do the following:
1) If you can, time it so the smoke portion is done prior to going to bed. Either case, empty the water bowl and spent pucks prior to going to bed. I would use a larger disposable pan in lieu of the water bowl. Did I mention to change the water prior to going to bed?
2) Make sure the meat is not touching cabinet walls
3) Make sure the v tray hole is unplugged. Make sure the channel leading to the hole in the v tray is clear.
4) Use a remote thermometer with an alarm for high temperature
5) get up early and check it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

Big_T,

I am in the camp with KyNola - it wouldn't be me.  That said  there are many here who run there smokers in their garage without incident. 

If you are going to do overnight smokes you should at least follow what GR has suggested.  An alternative option that I commonly use is do the smoking in the Bradley, then after the smoking if the hours are getting late move the meat to the kitchen oven to finish.  This solves a lot of problems related to overnight cooks.

Things can and do go wrong.  Last November a highly experienced and senior forum member experienced a grease fire in his Bradley Smoker in his garage.  His basic message to other members - it isn't set it and forget it.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19357.0

A good example of what can happen if things go wrong is in this thread. I encourage you to read through the whole thread, as this will give you differing viewpoints as well as some final analysis of things done wrong.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19808.0

While the probability of a catastrophe is very low, what is at risk is substantial.  The net risk is the product of the probability of failure and what will be lost if that low probability event does occur.  Everyone has to make their own decision.  Hopefully the links above will let you do so from an informed position.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

All the fires that have been reported have been maintained inside the cabinet. If you suspect a fire inside the smoker, NEVER open the door; it will only make matters worse.

I would add a couple of additional steps to Gus' list. Keep a 1 1/2" - 2" metal putty knife by the smoker to scrape the drip pan ("V" tray) of any gunk build up that my block the vents and drainage hole, during the smoke. If the vents get clogged up heat will build up underneath, and if the drain hole gets clogged  a pool of grease can build up on top of the drip tray. It is also a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher near by.

In Case of A Bradley Fire

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I think the fire that utahsmokin reported (second link in my post above) actually burned through the door seal, which gave the fire a fresh oxygen source,  ultimately leading to the door falling off.  Other than that one example, HabS is right.  The Bradley smokers have a generally done a very good job of containing any grease fires that we know about.

If you're going to go down this path I believe the essential keys are those outlined by GusRobin along with frequent checking an attendance to the smoker.  If something were to get started then early intervention will help keep it from getting out of control and becoming a catastrophe.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Wildcat

I would not do it. I have lost one home due to fire. Not a fun experience.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

I would smoke out side of the garage for a number of reasons

1) FIRE hazard
2) smoke issues if the duct clogs or leaks for any reason.
3) would not have to vent through the walls of roof

I have been smoking for several years and always smoked outside and so far no fires

also keep all meats, cheeses, snack sticks, etc towards the middle as much as possible for  air flow

keep vent 3/4 to full open at all times