• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Not Set-It-Forget-It

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 30, 2010, 01:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This past year our forum has had many new members. Some have said, I want a set it and forget it smoker.

The Bradley is a great smoker but it is not a set it forget it smoker.

Case in point.

Doing sticks and SS today and the brisket i have been going from the back deck to garage. I was walking to garage and noticed a large amount of smoke billowing from the garage. Glancing at the 6 rack was a plume of smoke?.....HUH

Not right.

Open the door to just catch a grease fire starting on the smoking puck. Screwdriver in and puck in the water.

Upon looking, there was grease dripping from the v tray hole and along the bottom of the V dripping on the puck. This is from not cleaning the v tray good.

Saved smoker and even garage.  Besides a major A$$ kicking from Mrs if the garage burnt down......DO'H

NEVER EVER think set it forget it.

classicrockgriller

A good point.

The V-tray needs to be cleaned along with your racks after each smoke.

Or at least scraped.

BuyLowSellHigh

Good save, and a valuable lesson for all of us.

Thanks, Rick!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

justpete

Wake up call for all of us.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad you caught it.

KyNola

Great save and an extremely valuable lesson for us all.  Makes one ponder those overnight smokes and no one around to watch the smoker.

punchlock

Good catch Nepas, glad it turned out to be an inexpensive lesson. I wonder how long one would be in the doghouse for, after burning down a garage?.....

ArnieM

Yeah, good catch Rick.  The Bradley is surely low maintenance but it's not no maintenance.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

lumpy

As automatic the Bradley is..........for us seasoned smokers, it is not a set it and forget it.
I'm sure all of us can tell a story......I know I can.

Lumpy

TestRocket

Good eye and lesson for us all! I know I need to clean my v-tray right now...or before I use the OBS again! Thanks for the reminder! And I'm glad you spotted the warning signs in time!

Tenpoint5

Something tells me Miss Chrystal would not find the humor in the garage going up in flames at all. Thanks for the reminder to all of us.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

So glad you caught it in time.  The engineering on the Bradley is top notch and is designed to keep things like this from happening.  We had a saying in the firefighting business.  You can build a concrete building and it will be fire PROOF but you put a human in it and it can burn down.  Guess that we need to keep those V trays cleaned up.  Thanks for posting a reminder to us.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

beefmann

agrees  with cleaning all the  racks, v tray, and the box to remove all the excessive grease and if that is done, the bradley is still as close to a  set it and  forget it smoking and cooking process as you  can get

nothing is 100% set it and  forget it Bradley is 99% set it  and forget it smoking / cooker.

a good cleaning is a different story

squirtthecat

A good investment...  One you hope you never have to use.

KyNola

Only STC can do a public service announcement and manage to take the pic so his new MAK is in the photo. :D