• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GB Jerky Question

Started by CoreyMac, February 24, 2011, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

Quote from: MidKnightRider on March 02, 2011, 09:57:19 AM
I do not regrind, I use 90/10 ground meat from the store put it in a bowl and mix it with the cure and spice using a electric hand mixer. Into the refer for a few hours or over night and shoot it then dry / smoke it.
I like the texture of mine just have to get the spices right.

I'm sure the hand mixer gets it real nice and fine, I just went with the beef out of the package, not the way to go. Never thought of a hand mixer.

Corey

DTAggie

Just bought 4 lbs of 90/10 and have a LEM Spicy jerky pack.  Will mix tonight nad let sit over night then use a gun to make strips and smoke tomorrow.

What temp are you all using on the bradley, how long and how long on the smoke?  I plan on using hickory.

Gizmo

I use 160 to 180 deg and after the smoke I move to a dehydrator set to 160 deg.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MidKnightRider

I use 180° smoke for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs it takes around 3 to 4 hrs some times longer.
Dry time depends on a lot of things and it is not set in stone.
Turn it over after the first 1and 1/2 Hrs and blot it to get any oil off it.
Check it to see how it bends. You need it to bend not brake.
Good Luck and pictures!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

CoreyMac

Here is my second attempt from the weekend, it turned out perfect (IMO). The wife says its the best jerky she has ever had.
I forgot to take a picture before I packaged everything but you get the idea. Texture is real nice, doing a double grind is the way to go. Tested the spices by frying up bit, got them very close as well. Used the Colorado spice from the Sausagemaker. Very good flavour. Took about 8 hrs in the dehydrator.

Thanks for all the advice everybody, think I finally have this figured out. I know what I'm going to be doing all next weekend.

Corey