• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Guy from the West coast....

Started by Kevin A, April 21, 2011, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

Hello everybody!

My names Kevin—a new guy here who's been quietly perusing this forum for the past week, reading a bunch of informative posts and gaining lots of new insight into the fine art of smoking, sausage-making and the like.

Kirby (pikeman_95) & I have been exchanging emails recently as i'm interested in possibly acquiring one of his creations similar to this bad boy from TenPoint5's thread:

He suggested I visit here as there were many nice people and a wealth of knowledge.

Quick background: I'm 51, married for nearly 30 years & father of three fine sons. I work at our local church in the California East Bay area and spend some of my free time playing guitar, cooking, playing hoop...and endless home-remodel. I've been smoking briskets & pork butts & ribs for years now on a Weber SM, and do my steak & burger grilling, plus my coffee bean roasting on a Weber genesis.

I've been looking for a quality electric smoker—which led eventually here—as I'm in the process of learning home sausage-making, cold-smoking & curing. I've a house full of smoked sausage-lovers, so I'm hoping to learn a few tips here from you all and maybe share a bit of my own experiences as I venture into this uncharted territory  ;)

Kevin A

devo

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you Kirby is a stand up guy for sure. I have one of his stuffers (6 inch) and i'm very happy with it. Any problems or questions you might have he will address as soon as he see's it. But i'm sure you will not have any problems with the stuffer as mine has worked as he said it would. Even my seven year old runs it when ever he gets a chance.
Think i talked to a Kevin on another forum and told you about Kirby and his amazing stuffer, maybe maybe not

GusRobin

welcome and feel free to ask questions or ask for help.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

welcome to the forum Kevin and there are a lot of good people around here.

if you are looking for a bradley that  will do sausage smoking, cold smoking, and hot cooking let me give you a few ideas to roll over and let you  see my 4 rack smoker set up.

my 900 watt heater mod.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

making my 4 rack into a cold smoke then cook smoker.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

and finally my smoker digs

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.0

and im sure there will be others along that  will chime in'

a 4 rack is good for a lot including smoking sausage, and the 6 rack will give you the ability to smoke longer sausages and bigger loads of meat ask around and make a educated decision.

you  really cant go wrong  with  the 4 or 6 rack, just depends on how much yo  will be putting in it at one time, i have had my 4 rack for 5 years now and only stuffed it maybe once a year, and for that  once a  year i could not justify the cost after the heater mod, timer and pid, let alone paying for a digital unit that i was gonna modify anyway.

Beef

Keymaster

Welcome to the forum Kevin, I have never had a water stuffer but they look like they work very good. I have a Lem five pound vertical stuffer that works fine for my needs and is easy clean up. I really like my Bradley smoker alot and if you get one you will get hooked on smoking as it is one of the best on the market for the money and ease of use. I learned everthing I know about Snausage and Jerky makin from this forum, theres some great members here to help you out :)

Smokin Soon

Welcome Kevin! Good to see a another Bay Area guy in the forum. Good people here and lot's to learn.

Kevin A

Quote from: devo on April 21, 2011, 06:25:13 PM
Think i talked to a Kevin on another forum and told you about Kirby and his amazing stuffer, maybe maybe not
I am THAT Kevin, Devo. ;)
Thanks for putting me in touch with Kirby.
...Which also led to me getting here.

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone.
The more I read about the equipment & mods everyone is using, I am either excited at the prospects or incredibly intimidated by how little I know about all this stuff....

Shasta bob

Welcome to the forum, its allways good to see another West coaster, this is the best place to learn and learn more. you will not reget joining this group of Smokers.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

ghost9mm

Welcome to the forum a really great place to read and learn from some of the most informed and tested group...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pikeman_95

Kevin

gad that you joined the forum. These guys are wealth of knowledge and always willing to help.