• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs and using the Auber PID?

Started by freakaccident, June 09, 2011, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakaccident

I bought the Auber dual probe PID and I hope it will be here for this weekend.  I plan on smoking 4 racks of baby backs.  Are there instructions with the Auber?  If not how should I use it?

I am planning on the 321 method with apple juice for the #2. 

What wood pucks would be a good choice to go with?  I was thinking of alternating the Jim Beam pucks with apple.  Any advice?

GusRobin

should be a CD with it.
If not, here are some instructions:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

If you need more help, just yell.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

That link Gus gave you is really great..if he could make me understand it at age 74 you should not have a problem with it....you will really enjoy the PID it's well worth the money...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

Yep, I put the cd in the drawer and followed guidance from Gus's Thread!!!! He made it easy Peasy ;D

freakaccident

Thanks so much!  I read through that I'm still a bit confused but I'll figure it out.

One question,  If I am doing basically 6 hours with no change in cabinet temps would I just set the first timer for 6 hours and 0 on the other 5?

Thanks,
Aaron

muebe

Quote from: freakaccident on June 10, 2011, 10:01:05 PM
Thanks so much!  I read through that I'm still a bit confused but I'll figure it out.

One question,  If I am doing basically 6 hours with no change in cabinet temps would I just set the first timer for 6 hours and 0 on the other 5?

Thanks,
Aaron

YES ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

freakaccident

Quote from: muebe on June 10, 2011, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: freakaccident on June 10, 2011, 10:01:05 PM

Thanks,
Aaron

YES ;D

Thanks!  OH and what wood pucks would be best for first time baby backs?  I have the variety box and a box of the Jim Beams.

Thanks!

muebe

I would use Hickory or Oak(Jim Beam)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

freakaccident

Quote from: muebe on June 10, 2011, 10:35:08 PM
I would use Hickory or Oak(Jim Beam)

Ok.  I will go with just the Jim Beam for these.

Thanks

freakaccident

Ok so here is a summary and pics of the rib cook today.  The Auber PID is ridiculously easy to use once you understand the basic concept of attaching a smoke cycle to a specific cook cycle and spreading out the cycles to do what you want.

I ran it like this:
Cycle 1: 1 hour at 250 for warmup - no meat
Cycle 2: 3 hours at 225 with smoke cycle
Cycle 3: 2 hours at 225 with no smoke - meat in foil with apple juice
Cycle 4: 1 hour at 225 with no smoke - meat basted in sauce and on rack not in foil.
FTC = 1 hour

I didn't measure IT after the 3 hour cycle because I didn't want to mess with it and the foil.  

I used the Jim Beam wood pucks.

I was using baby backs.

I used the rub recipe from here:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?449-Competition-Ribs

Overall I was very happy with the way they turned out except for the smokiness.  Everyone else liked it but I thought the smokiness was overpowering.  I'm not sure if it was the wood or that I smoked too long.  I'm not entirely sure I like the Jim Beam pucks.  I tried them with ABTs last week and got the same overpowering smokiness impression.    I may try a different wood next time.

Here are some pics of the finished product.  

GusRobin

Smoke is an individual taste. That's why many will keep a detailed log of their cooks so you can look at what yo did last time and adjust accordingly.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.