• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thin Sauce for pulled pork

Started by Kane, June 13, 2011, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

Hey guy,

I need a nice flavor sauce for some pulled pork Im doing for a party. Ill pre smoke and shred it and then reheat in a nesco and I wanna add something in there that wont turn people off.  doesnt wanna do BBQ sauce as some people dont want it and for thos that do can add on side. thoughts on a nice simple thin sauce I can add?

SL2010

this is what i always use it is awesome

1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or to taste
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Ka Honu

smoke em if you got em

This one is a real crowd pleaser around my house.

3 TBSP Ketchup (Heinz)
4 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (1/4 cup)
1 TBSP water
1 Tsp Black Pepper (fine ground)
¼ Tsp White pepper
½ Tsp Cayenne (red) pepper (or more to taste, locals will use 1 Tsp)
2 Tsp Tabasco or other red pepper sauce

All measures are level measurements.

Mix it in a small Tupperware container and shake to mix. Store at room temperature but if you are not going to use it for a while, refrigerate or just throw it away and make fresh next time. Some folks add a little sugar but I think this is closer to the Starnes recipe in taste. This sauce is hot but not as hot as some like it. Just add more cayenne if you want it hotter like at the restaurant. Enjoy!
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Habanero Smoker

I like the Vaunted Vinegar too. I always season my pork with this, adding about 1 cup per butt; a little more or less depending on the amount of pork. I also have additional sauce on the side so the guest can add more. It gives it a nice flavor, and compliments other sauces that your guest may want to add later.

Also with that recipe as a base you can add ketchup to make it a Carolina Red Sauce, or mustard to make it a Mustard Sauce. If making the mustard sauce and you use cider vinegar for the Vaunted Vinegar, add some additional sugar.

Lay's Tangy Carolina BBQ Sauce is also a great sauce to use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

I just pull it and leave it dry on the platter with a selection of 5-6 different sauces on the counter, mostly Bandana's stuff.

hal4uk

Not sure what a nesco is that heats up food? -- a crock pot?  (I know they make slicers)...

A crock pot, set on low, is a good way to go.
The lid will help keep the moisture in.

As suggested, just add Vaunted Vinegar (or similar).
I also like to add a couple pats of butter when reheating pulled pork.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

OU812

I like to use the defated drippings collected from the cook and mix some butter in.

Kane

thanks for the replies everyone

a nesco is like a crockpot but has more control over exact temps. 

Ive thought of Vaunted Vinegar  but honestly Ive never had it Myself. I always use IceMans BBQ sauce for what I do.  years past when Ive done this Ive pulled it and put it in the nesco with apple juice and Icemans rub. Its been good and my guests complimented me but I myself didnt care for it so much.

what type of flavor does a basic vaunted vinegar sauce give the meat?

there is one I see in smoke & spice for The Renowned Mr Brown I thought of tryingf I just wish I myself knew what to expect before serving it to guests

2 cups cider vinegar
3 tbls black pepp
2 tbls salt
1 tbls worcestershire
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls cayenne

Habanero Smoker

I don't have my Smoke & Spice book - it's out on loan, but I don't believe the recipe you posted is the Vaunted Vinegar Sauce from their book. It may be another Carolina Sauce listed in the book.

The Smoke and Spice Vaunted Vinegar, I use that recipe but replace the cider vinegar with Nakano Original Rice vinegar.
Vaunted Vinegar

It's difficult to describe the taste. You may get 30 different discriptions. I always try a recipe prior to serving my guest, that is the best way to learn how it taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

Hey Hab,

Thats the recipe out of the book from the same page Renowned Mr Brown recipe for pulled pork is on.  I do see a different recipe in the back of the book which I believe is the one more like your refering too.

The problem with making it and trying it before had is I have this party coming up in 2 days so no time for that

Habanero Smoker

If you make it with the Nakano Rice Vinegar, you can't go wrong, it's even a good condiment on the table for many foods, and you can even use in on salads both vegetable and fruit. The sauce can be made several days in advance, so to give you an idea you can make a half a batch and splash some on cooked pork chops. I also give the guest a choice of some additional sauces on the side. Such as your favorite BBQ sauces and, and make the tangy version for those who like the extra tang.

The following sauce goes good with pork also.
Yellow Sauce

I
         don't
                   inhale.