• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going from the Braldey to a crock pot or oven

Started by bozer, May 30, 2011, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechMedic130

I've done Brisket by starting outside then finishing in the oven and it was the best brisket I ever made. Started at about 7am in the smoker, hit it for 3 hours of smoke, then popped it in the oven at 300 I believe for another 6 hours. Put it in a roasting pan, but up on a cooking rack and wrapped in foil with some beer in it. Once in a while I'd come back and give it another splash of beer. It was more out of necessity because of bad weather than actual desire, but it came out awesome and it was done in half my normal cooking time. I haven't tried a butt this way yet but I'm thinking about trying it to see how it comes out. When it comes to things with a short cook time, smoker from start to finish but I am becoming a big fan of the hybrid technique with things I have to cook longer than 12 hours or so.

KyNola

Quote from: standles on September 03, 2011, 03:49:28 AM
Sooo from the "Wives" perspective why is it safer to finish in the oven or crockpot rather than bradley?   The puck burning is done so only the element is on.   Same thing with either the crock pot or oven.   If it is fire I would  rather that be outside than inside with the oven or crockpot.
I finish in the oven for convenience or if I want to do two loads.  Never from the safety aspect.
Sign me confused  :o
I'm not a wife but I'll take a shot at this.  Even after smoke period is over, the heating element is exposed.  Dripping pork fat can hit the element and you may have an instant grease fire.   The water bowl may also go dry and you can have a bowl of liquid pork fat sitting there that may catch fire.  Notice I use the word "may".  Not saying it will but don't take my word for it....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19808.0

standles

Quote from: KyNola on September 03, 2011, 07:21:38 AM

I'm not a wife but I'll take a shot at this.  Even after smoke period is over, the heating element is exposed.  Dripping pork fat can hit the element and you may have an instant grease fire.   The water bowl may also go dry and you can have a bowl of liquid pork fat sitting there that may catch fire.  Notice I use the word "may".  Not saying it will but don't take my word for it....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19808.0

Good point

La Quinta