• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going from the Braldey to a crock pot or oven

Started by bozer, May 30, 2011, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

Hey All,

I've wanted to do pulled pork or a brisket for the longest time, but my wife is not too happy with keeping the bradley on all night. I was wondering if I could smoke in the Bradley for say 4 hours, then finish the rest off in a crock pot. Does anyone have any recipes like this?

I'd be interested in knowing what the timing should be and how to cook it in a crock pot if that would differ from in an oven. I figure it will be easier to maintain temps in a crock pot or oven while sleeping. I'd be worried the Bradley temps would changed while I was asleep.

La Quinta

Well...being a wife myself...I agree with your wife...I smoke for 4 hours...then go about 9 in the crock pot...tests it...sometimes it takes 12 hours in the crock...just feels safer for me that way...and the house smells great when you get up in the morning!!!  ;D

When we make bread in the bread maker...we set it to start cooking about 6am...smells like  we live over a bakery about 7am...pork smells like we live in in a smokehouse!!! :D

La Quinta

PS Bozer...depends on how big your cut of meat is...I usually do a fairly small butt...maybe 5-6 lbs...but...no matter I do 4 hours of smoke...and make sure you have some liquid in the crock pot...I do bar-b-q sauce....but...you use whatever taste you're going for...and add veggies too...they will keep the enivronment moist as well...

bozer

How much liquid do you put in? Just pour like half a bottle of any BBQ sauce in there?

how do you know once it's done?

muebe

And may I suggest add a warm beer with it! It makes the meat so much better in the crock pot ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

bozer

I need more info so I don't screw this up.

How much liquid? How long in crock pot. Do you put on high or on low?

Any suggestions for recipe?

muebe

One full beer and 1/4 of BBQ sauce should do...

Leave it on "low" the whole time and keep it covered until tender..

You could also add a packet lipton onion soup mix instead of BBQ sauce..

Add some sliced onions with it too ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

La Quinta

You don't need a whole lot of liquid...plus...only on low for the amount of time I stated...the slower you go the better...you can put whatever kind of liquid you like...just keeps the meat nice and moist...Ive done bar-b-q sauce and laid bacon over the top of the meat...that way you get a double whammy!

To check it...just stick a couple of forks in it...if it's easy to pull...it's done...if there is resistance...let it go for longer...

Don't worry...it's hard to screw it up... ;D Seriously...

bozer

Thanks all -

Is it possible to do a brisket in a crock pot? Probably not I guess due to size. But what about finishing in an oven even?

OU812

Quote from: bozer on June 01, 2011, 06:43:50 AM
Thanks all -

Is it possible to do a brisket in a crock pot? Probably not I guess due to size. But what about finishing in an oven even?

Yes you can finish a brisket in the oven. After the smoke double wrap in foil or a foil steamer pan with a lead and place in a 220 F oven, you will want to put a rimmed pan on the rack under it just in case ti springs a leak.

You could also place the brisket on a bed of onions.

I've done many in a roaster oven, dont like to heat up the house.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bozer on June 01, 2011, 06:43:50 AM
Thanks all -

Braising is another good way to finish the brisket in the oven. I have used this method on several occasions and was very pleased with the outcome.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bozer

Hey all

I just picked up an 8 or 9 pound butt. I plan to start this Saturday night, 4 hours of smoke, then into crockpot for over nigth. Do you think it will work being 8 or 9 pounds? Should I begin earlier then say 8PM Saturday night?

Going to use carolina treat all over it and then butt rub all over it, into fridge tonight.

Any preferred wood I should use?

beefmann

i have started in the bradley and finished in the oven and crock pot, if you  have a large enough of a crock pot ... go for it

La Quinta

Well I do hickory...but with a brisket...you can go to mesquite...(however...I think it leaves an acrid taste) HOWEVER THE Texans will disagree.... ;D

standles

Sooo from the "Wives" perspective why is it safer to finish in the oven or crockpot rather than bradley?   The puck burning is done so only the element is on.   Same thing with either the crock pot or oven.   If it is fire I would  rather that be outside than inside with the oven or crockpot.

I finish in the oven for convenience or if I want to do two loads.  Never from the safety aspect.

Sign me confused  :o