Need Pork Shoulder/Butt Help?

Started by CDN Smoker, September 09, 2011, 05:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN Smoker

Good Day All,

I would like to smoke a pork shoulder/butt (my first) but really unsure of where to start. I have been thru many of the topic's but almost getting confused.

Looking for a first time step by step guide to get me started.

Many Thanks in advance,
CDN Smoker
Just trying to be a better Smoker

mikecorn.1

This is what I do. Season it, wrap it overnight, take it out and let it warm up some, put 4 hrs if smoke on it, cook till u get to IT around 195.
More will be by with more detailed info. :)

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SouthernSmoked

Hello CDN Smoker...

I agree with Mike - season, wrap overnight or at least 6 hours before smoking.
Next, before placing into smoker - make sure to preheat your smoker to around 250-since temp will drop once you place the meat inside the smoker. While this is taking place let the meat rest on your counter, normally about 30 - 45mins, maybe up to 1 hour.
Must forum member's will add around 4 hours of smoke but I do 5-7, depending on the load.
Cook until the IT reaches 195+, then FTC for about 3-6 hours.

Here is a link for a step-by-step that I did last year.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17649.0

Enjoy!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

classicrockgriller

Mike has you right.

1) Buy a Boston Butt/Shoulder Roast ........ NOT a picnic ham
2) Season it with your rub choice
3) Warp in Saran (cello) wrap for overnite or longer ride in the fridge.
4) Day of smoke: (a)pull your butt out of bed to pull your butt out of fridge
   a couple of hours before starting your cook. (b)Turn your Bradley on to 225*
   to 240* and put water pan in smoker. (c)turn your smoke generator on (d) take
   and unwrap butt and add more rub to it.
5) Insert your Butt into the smoker on middle rack and close the door and open the vent
6) Put your wood pucks in smoke gen and advance them to start.
7) Drink a beer.

an 8lb butt could take as low as 12 hours or as much as 20 plus hours. Everybody is a

little different which makes it good, but I like to take my butt off when it reaches an IT

(internal temp) of 190* to 195*. After removing the smoked/cooked butt from the smoker

I double wrap it in foil, wrap two or more towels around it, and put it in a room warn cooler

(ice chest) or an unused micro wave. Leave it there anywhere from 2 to 6 hours depending

on when you need to eat.

PLUS! Take many pictures of the process and post them on the forum! ;D

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 09, 2011, 06:37:49 AM
Mike has you right.

1) Buy a Boston Butt/Shoulder Roast ........ NOT a picnic ham
2) Season it with your rub choice
3) Warp in Saran (cello) wrap for overnite or longer ride in the fridge.
4) Day of smoke: (a)pull your butt out of bed to pull your butt out of fridge
   a couple of hours before starting your cook. (b)Turn your Bradley on to 225*
   to 240* and put water pan in smoker. (c)turn your smoke generator on (d) take
   and unwrap butt and add more rub to it.
5) Insert your Butt into the smoker on middle rack and close the door and open the vent
6) Put your wood pucks in smoke gen and advance them to start.
7) Drink a beer.

an 8lb butt could take as low as 12 hours or as much as 20 plus hours. Everybody is a

little different which makes it good, but I like to take my butt off when it reaches an IT

(internal temp) of 190* to 195*. After removing the smoked/cooked butt from the smoker

I double wrap it in foil, wrap two or more towels around it, and put it in a room warn cooler

(ice chest) or an unused micro wave. Leave it there anywhere from 2 to 6 hours depending

on when you need to eat.

PLUS! Take many pictures of the process and post them on the forum! ;D

8 ) After the smoke is done dump your water pan and refill (3/4 full) with hot water and check to make sure the hole in the V tray is clear.

9) Dump and refill the water bowl every 4 or 5 hr and check the V tray.

Even though the water bowl looks full its most likely full of grease and you dont want that grease to over flow and cause a big problem.

10) Have Fun.  ;D

beefmann

CDN Smoker

Wow thanks for all the quick responses.

Already been down to my local butcher and eyed up my prize. Shoulder size about 8lbs.

Going to do baby back ribs this weekend and then the shoulder early next week.

Yes I will be sure to get lots of pics to post :D
Just trying to be a better Smoker

squirtthecat

classicrockgriller

OU812

rcger

As far as a rub, I don't think you can go wrong with Jan's Rub  Here's the link...http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub.  It's the best I've found.  Slather a bit of CYM (cheap yellow mustard) on your butt first and then apply the rub.  It produces a bark that's out of this world.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Mach1

I 2nd Jans rub, I know put it on any meat product whether it's smoked, grilled or fried, I just put some in a salt/ pepper shaker, so I can sprinkle some whenever I want.