Southern Pulled Pork with Cole Slaw and sauce...

Started by SouthernSmoked, August 30, 2010, 05:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

Southern Pulled Pork with Cole Slaw and sauce...

Pulled Pork Dinner at my house.

Pulled Pork with Cole Slaw and sauce...

...Smoked 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese, Corn, Grillin' Beans, Corn Bread and a slice of tomato.

Seven pound Butt

I applied a coat of yellow mustard...

Using your favorite rub...

Apply the your butt in an even coating and pat so the rub adheres.

Next, I wrapped the butt before injecting to help hold the injections solution inside the meat.

Injection mixture: Apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce.

I mixed these ingredients in a bowl then poured into this measuring cup. Using a meat syringe inject the meat evenly at 1-inch intervals from top side.

Cover and Frig for 4 hours or longer.

It's around 11:45pm and I pulled my butt out of the refrigerator to bring to room temp...

It's 12:15am and I decided to get started with my smoke...

On this smoke I will be using Hickory as the wood choice. Also Apple juice in the Drip Bowl instead of water. I added about 7 hours of wood chips.

I added a very small amount of additional rub and brown sugar on the top before placing in the smoker.

It's 12:40am and my Bradley is already at 250f and it's time to start.
Note: Make sure the smoker is preheated to around 250-275 because once you open the door and set the meat on the rack you oven will drop.

After spraying the rack I inserted it into the smoker on the second rest down from top.

I then placed my butt inside the smoker on the second rest from top.

Make sure that you rest your butt with the fat side up, this will allow juices to flow through the meat. I normally don't even look at this for about 4-5 hours and at that time I will open the door and insert my digital thermometer and close the door until the butt is 165 degree. Time to get a few hours of Shut Eye.

Well I got up at 5:00am and check on the smoker, I pulled the water bowl out, dumped the ashes and add a little more apple juice. I also inserted my digital thermometer and close the door until the butt is 165 degree. Note: I had this set on beef in this pic but quickly changed it over to pork after looking at the camera.

Keep an eye on this since you want to smoke between 225-250 degrees.

It's now 5:40am and will start the vinegar sop mop...

Ingredients: Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne Pepper, Salt and Lemon.

It's 6:35am and the butt has reached 163f and I decided to give it the first mopping...Remember to keep an eye on the smoker temperature since you want to smoke between 225-250 degrees.

At this time I will begin to mop this with a vinegar base solution every hour.

At 8:30am mopping, I turned the rack from front to back and added more mopping sauce.

Remember to keep an eye on this since you want to smoke between 225-250 degrees.

At 9:45am I turned it back again and applied another sob.

It's 12:30pm and I'm 12 hours into the smoke and my butt has hit 178f - I know it wont be long.

It's around 2am and the butt has reached 193F and it's time to FTC (Foil, Towel and Cooler). I like to start with an aluminum foil pan...

...lined with 4 layers of aluminum foil crisscrossed...

...then pouring a little of the left over mopping sauce in the middle of the foil before...

...resting fat side up, I next poured the remain "Sop Mop" over the butt.

Next, I wrapped tightly. Completion of the Foil ---- FTC

Beginning of Towel: You can use a couple of towels to wrap or I choose to take a couple of food warmer bags( like the pizza delivery guy uses)...

I use two - the first I wrap tightly and then insert it inside the second.  Completion of the Towel ---- FTC

Next will set a towel in the bottom of the cooler...

Next place the wrap's inside the cooler...

...and cover with an additional towel. At this point I will then set in my cooler wrapped in foil and several towels for two to three hours. Completion of the Cooler ---- FTC

After resting in the cooler for 3 hours it was time to bring the butt inside and unwrap.

Remove the pork to cutting board and let rest for 20-30 minutes.

Wearing insulated rubber gloves grab the bone and give a tug...

...and it should just pull out...

... without any resistance at all.

Now that was easy!

I then use my bear claws or you can use two forks to pull the meat apart into chunks. Make sure to add in the bark, the dark brown layer, for added flavor.

I have to say that because I have seen folks discard the outside bark thinking it is burnt or something. It is the best part. I pulled enough for around 6 sammies and set aside the rest for pulling after dinner.

I don't add the bbq sauce on this – I allow the user to do so.

Pulled Pork with Cole Slaw and sauce, Smoked 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese, Grillin' Beans, Corn Bread, Corn, Slice of Tomato and Ice Tea.

Plated!!!

Let's eat!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Fantastic!   Ok, now I'm really hungry............

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

rdevous

Sweet tea inna Mason jar................Southern got it right!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

TestRocket

That butt had no choice but to be moist with all that loving care!  Looks great!

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smoking Rebel

L I B!!! C M Vittles!

Tenpoint5

OK I have to ask this ;D ;D ;D What temp did you cook it at?? :D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 30, 2010, 10:01:57 AM
OK I have to ask this ;D ;D ;D What temp did you cook it at?? :D

I tried to keep it right around 225-250f at all time...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kinyo

Pachanga

classicrockgriller