• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cheese

Started by thostorey, December 23, 2005, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thostorey

Something didn't sound quite right about that 'great' idea as I was typing it and it came to me that it would be too hot for the cheese just after I hit the 'post' button[:I] Hmmm...back to the ole drawing board.

Tom in Qualicum Beach

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">However, since smoke will adhere to the surface of the cheese, the surface area-to-volume ratio will also come into play with very small vs. large pieces.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with John and the size I quote earlier under this heading (6"x4"x1.5") came after experimenting with pieces of cheese of a variety of sizes and thickness starting at 9"x6"x6" and as small as 3"x2"x1" whilst keeping the other possible variables (smoke time 5 hours and temperature below 80F) constant.

And this was for mature cheddar, presumably the consistency of other cheeses may also have an affect on smoke penetration.

Smoke penetration of food may also be influenced by too cold a temperature as well...... there is a quote somewhere about smoking food "being an art, not a science". I'm not so sure sometimes![}:)]

And what was it thostorey said initially:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A simple question I think.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[Manxman.
Manxman