• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cheese

Started by thostorey, December 23, 2005, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thostorey

A simple question I think. When smoking cheese, how thick are the pieces of cheese supposed to be? And, what are the best cheeses to smoke? Cheddar, jack or what?

Thanks, Tom

Tom in Qualicum Beach

manxman

Hi thostorey,

After experimenting a bit I use blocks around 6"x4"x1.5", the latter figure being the thickness.

I cold smoke for around 5 hours but I think the majority of people seem to smoke for around 2-3 hours, my favourite pucks are apple or oak.

I have tried a load of different cheeses here on this side of the pond and the vast majority of the time stick to mature cheddar which is the firm favourite with friends and relatives!

Good luck...............

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Manxman's advice is excellent.  I smoke for 3-4 hr, and have used apple, oak, alder, maple, and hickory.  Sharp (mature) cheddar is outstandimg, but my favorite is young gouda cheese.  I've done jack, Colby, Edam, muenster, and Jarlsberg and liked them all.  Just make sure the temp is below 80-85F--use the cold-smoking box setup posted by manx and others.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

I third on the "Mature" Aged Sharp Cheddar.  Its outstanding, even 2 days after smoke.  A week after its even better.  I have the Jarsberg that's been resting for a week.  I will try it tomorrow.  The PepperJack has sat for a week, the 2 day test was a bit ashy.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

thostorey

Thanks for the replies.I'll try a few different cheeses and report.[:)]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

thostorey

Thanks for the replies.I'll try a few different cheeses and report.[:)]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

IKnowWood

Update

We tasted our smoked cheese, after sitting for a week.  and sadly to say, it mellowed to far.  The Pepper-Jack still had some smoke, the Sharp Chedder was barely noticable.  Jarslberg had no smoke taste what so ever.

Good experiment, next time double time.  I only smoked for 1 hour with mild wood.  next time, still mild wood but 2 or 3 hours.  maybe split it to 2.5 hours of oak or Cherry wood.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

JJC

I think Thunder Fish is trying to tell us that there's some great info on the thread he lists . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

vacuum seal your cheese . the smoked cheese will hold its flavor for a long time [;)]

thostorey

Yep, I read Thunder Fish's link before I asked but I didn't see any reference to 'thickness'. I think thickness is critical to the absorbtion of 'smoke' flavour. You may get away with less smoke time if the cheese is cut thin and, as Mr. Bradley says, smoke time is $$  [:D]

Anyway, I'm off to Costco to pick up a couple of pounds of different cheeses! I'll put it on a rack above the Pink salmon I'm about to smoke up for New Year snacks.

I hope Santa was good to everyone[:D]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

Thunder Fish

Sorry  about that ,I usually go for 1 1/2" - 2" thick ,lenth is any where from 8"- 14" height 4"-6" and all I do is saran(cling)wrap for a day or two than vacume seal.
Terry

JJC

Interesting . . . never really thought that size mattered before (OK, Chez, I set you up with a softball down the middle . . . )

In thinking back on my cheese smokes, all the pieces have been less than 3" thick.  I'll have to think a bit more about the physics of it, but offhand I think only the smallest dimension matters in terms of smoke penetration (ie, smoke will permeate a 2x2x2 piece as well as a 2x6x12 piece).  However, since smoke will adhere to the surface of the cheese, the surface area-to-volume ratio will also come into play with very small vs. large pieces.  Too much to contemplate with a scotch in one hand . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Thunder Fish

thostorey, if your cheese gets above 80 F(internal) toss it as your cooking the oils out of it...............Cheese or fish?

JJC

TF is right--you might get away with a bit higher temp for harder cheeses, but if you see lots of oil coming out and the cheese sagging a bit, fuhgeddaboudit [:(]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA