• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cracked Door Bottom... Again!

Started by Meat tooth, September 24, 2011, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardvoyageur

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 05, 2011, 07:33:47 AM
Quote from: richardvoyageur on October 05, 2011, 04:54:46 AM
I just received my new door yesterday, does anyone know if the screws have been loosened from the factory or if I should do it myself to avoid the cracks?

That tend to get over tighten from the factory. Just back the screws off a bit and just barley snug them. There are three on top and three on the bottom side.

Will do, thanks CRG
Sell the sizzle and the steak

RFT

I  replacing my door this weekend.   I am also making my own bottom face plate(slider switch area) soon.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Meat tooth

Door issue dealt with! I got a 2" X 2" angle of aluminum 1/8" thick and fabbed my own door bottom today. This will likely never be an issue again! I never did hear back from Brian. Not sure what went down there, but hey, it's resolved, so no matter. Will see if I can borrow a camera to take a pic or two. This fix was super simple, and very effective. I used a dremel tool to match the curve of the door, and a 3/16" bolt as the bottom pin, (had to enlarge the bracket a bit). Even primed and painted the aluminum black to match.  8)

Now back to important stuff: schmokin'!
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

RFT

Get some pics up ASAP meat.    I have got to say as much as a like my Bradley and after having it pretty much taken apart today I  pretty disappointed in the quality of parts and cheapness of build even more then when i wrote my review. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.P.

Pearadeuce

wish they (Bradley) would read these post and come up with a way to fix the cheap PLASTIC. Same thing on mine bottom of door is broke and the CHEAP PLASTIC bottom of unit. Meat Tooth can you post your pic of your fix

JZ

I got my OBS about 4 years ago and used it once then we moved and I used it 2 times last year and once this year. Started reading the forum again and noted all the complaints about cracked panels. Checked mine and sure enough the bottom slider panel is cracked. Took it apart to drill the holes larger and noted that the bottom panel on the door is also cracked in 3 places. One piece fell out when I grabbed it.

Bought a DBS a week or so ago before reading all of this and now I am wondering if that was a mistake. These smokers should be of better quality considering their price tag. Blaming the factory doesn't cut it. Bradleys name is on it and they should make sure there is adequate quality control and / or suitable materials are used.

Hope I don't have the problems others are having with elements and the SG.

When I was in business for myself I always said it was better and cheaper to do a job right the first time than to have to do it over.

Meat tooth

Pictures! Finally!

Started with a 2" aluminum angle:

note: these pictures were presented after the repair was made, I just got the camera so I used the original door and left over angle to demonstrate the mod. The hinge detail is vague because of this, but I'm pretty sure if you can fab up the angle bracket to fit, you should be able to drill holes and rig up a new pin... The angle was attatched to the door wby drilling out where the original screws went and reusing them. With the execption of the door sides, at thetop of the angle. The holes had to be relocated to catch the aluminum.
The door after the broken plastic was removed:

The angle fitted temporarily:

Side of unit showing bottom hinge:

Front view:

Inside view door open showing hinge:

Under view of door:

Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

muebe

Nice work MT!

Similar to my door mod but I think yours is better ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

NIce Job!

Bradley, are you paying attention?
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

Very nice work, and a very simple modification fix.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JT-MO

I'm sure glad I checked in on this forum to find this great idea on how to fix the door. My issue almost turned into a totally ruined Thanksgiving. I pull the bradley out to make a smoked turkey today and the bottom face plate fell completely off. It's been cracked for a couple years now but I had a spare faceplate from customer service, so that was an easy fix. The door has been cracked since one month after I got it, but it has been holding together this long. But today when the face plate fell off the door cracked pieces finally fell out, the door still stayed on, so I smoked with it anyways. But now I need to fix my door and this is a brilliant easy fix. Just think, I was about to slap some huge hinges on it or something :)

Habanero Smoker

Hinges also work. One member came up with that solution a few years ago.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)