• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cracked Door Bottom... Again!

Started by Meat tooth, September 24, 2011, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

I was cleaning my OBS today and noticed that the plastic on the bottom of the door is broken... again.  ??? I an puzzled as to why it did this, in virtually the same places as the original door did. I am the only one who uses this unit, and am careful as not to let the door swing open, or slam shut. I guess I will have to call head office on Monday, to get warranty on door number two. The customer service is great, but I wish the quality of the materials was better. I have never had to use warranty on any other outdoor cooking appliances. The concept is great on these units, but the materials (plastic) kinda suck. Perhaps I will have to implement a repair similar to one of the other members on here, but I feel that I shouldn't really have to do that. -Perhaps Bradley should provide an update for the defective parts instead of replacing them with more defective parts? -They say a sign of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... ;D

Dan
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

muebe

From what I understand is that this problem originates from the screws being torqued down too tightly at the factory. Then the plastic flexes from temperature changes causing the cracking because of the over-tightened screws.

The next replacement you get try loosening the screws and then re-tighten them with just a little bit of torque.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Meat tooth

muebe: I think you are refering to the bottom cover under the door, where the temp control is. That has been replaced once, and modded to prevent further breakage. I am refering to the bottom plastic on the door itself. The first on broke and Bradley sent me a new door, now the new door it broken in the same spots as the original one. That is what I'm "ranting" about...
RFT: what the heck is that?! lol

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Quote from: Meat tooth on September 24, 2011, 07:53:23 PM
muebe: I think you are refering to the bottom cover under the door, where the temp control is. That has been replaced once, and modded to prevent further breakage. I am refering to the bottom plastic on the door itself. The first on broke and Bradley sent me a new door, now the new door it broken in the same spots as the original one. That is what I'm "ranting" about...
RFT: what the heck is that?! lol

OOOPS! My bad :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Meat tooth

cathouse willy

After reading threads about cracking door bottoms I checked the door on my 6 month old Bradley obs and sure enough the bottom plate is cracked close to the door pin mount.I'll call Bradley monday morning and I'm sure the customer service will be top notch, But..... in the 6 months I've had the smoker the smoke generator and the cabinet heat  element have been replaced and now the door.This  sort of quality issue must be a drain on the company. The company making the smokers for them has some serious quality issues. I'm hoping Bradley can slap them into line or find a better one.

richardvoyageur

After looking at this thread, I looked at the bottom of my door and noticed a crack as well!  This is after having the faceplate crack in multiple places already.  Thankfully Bradley has great customer service, but this is getting a bit annoying on a device I've used 4 times!
Sell the sizzle and the steak

Meat tooth

I caught myself looking at filing cabinets and similarly shaped objects trying to picture them as smoking chambers... I'd use the Bradley smoke gen, of course!  ::)

Meat tooth

It's been a week since I called for a solution to my door issue. Brian was to call me back because of the fact that this will be door #3. Still waiting for his call. hmm.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Meat tooth on October 04, 2011, 09:19:42 PM
It's been a week since I called for a solution to my door issue. Brian was to call me back because of the fact that this will be door #3. Still waiting for his call. hmm.

Give them another call. They are in the process of moving to a new location and your order/repair may have been misplaced.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

richardvoyageur

I just received my new door yesterday, does anyone know if the screws have been loosened from the factory or if I should do it myself to avoid the cracks?
Sell the sizzle and the steak

classicrockgriller

Quote from: richardvoyageur on October 05, 2011, 04:54:46 AM
I just received my new door yesterday, does anyone know if the screws have been loosened from the factory or if I should do it myself to avoid the cracks?

That tend to get over tighten from the factory. Just back the screws off a bit and just barley snug them. There are three on top and three on the bottom side.