• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

It's jerky time.

Started by Quarlow, November 11, 2011, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Yeah me too. I am really miffed by this. I have another batch of crappy jerky. I can't seem to get it right and my brother makes awesome jerky. I think a couple of bulbs and a fan would do the job. Easy to slap a plywood box together. Might even use furnace filters or range hood screens to keep the bugs out and let the air move.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

So the some went to long and is trashed, the nuggets are good. Overall not happy with my jerky again. I know it can be done but I guess I don't watch it enough. I think a dryer would work better for me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Well Quarlow I sent you a pm see if this is some thing your interested in.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

I think we all have had a couple batches of Jerky we did not like, I know Ive chucked a few of my batches in the trash :-X

viper125

Never messed up jerky. It either comes out for me or my dogs. Dont like wasting anything!LOL
Inside setup.

smoke em if you got em

Quote from: Quarlow on November 12, 2011, 03:00:51 PM
I just moved it to the oven. The weather is the sh#$s and I couldn't get the temp up over 140f. I am feed up with this and going to get a dehydrator.

This one works great for me. http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-80-Square-Shaped-Dehydrator/dp/B00179DCCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321148265&sr=8-2

Its one of the more inexpensive square ones I've seen. I purchased some extra trays to go with it.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Quarlow

Part of my problem is my slicer doesn't give me uniform slices. Some thick spots and thin in each piece. Also I have been neglectful with my temps. I need to go back to the basics and read the recipe books again. I just set the temp to 220f and let it go.  There is no excuse for this as I have a PID (thanks again Mike ) so ramping is not a problem. I have just been lazy with jerky making thinking it is easier than it is. 8lbs of crap is unexceptable again. So learn from this and don't fall into the rut I have. If you want pics of this disaster just ask.

OBS
BBQ

Sailor

When I did my nuggets I had the cabinet temp set to 140 ramp to 150 then to 160.  I have never done muscle or GB jerky in the Bradley but I would think that you are trying to do it just like a dehydrator and not "cook" the meat but to just dehydrate the meat.  I would think that anything over 170 175 will start cooking the meat and this is not what you want for jerky.  I know that when I do my snack stixs I never get over 175.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Q try semi freezing your meat prior to slicing. The semi frozen meat wont bend and flex and move around on your slicer giving you more even cuts.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

I will try that but I think without the slider it is futile. Nothing keeps the meat from warping but the partly frozen probably will help.

OBS
BBQ

Stickbowcrafter

Don't give up Q, it will all come together.

-Brian

Fisher

Looking good Q....

My mouth is watering already.
The cold beers will go good with that jerky:)

Happy Smoking

pikeman_95

Quote from: viper125 on November 12, 2011, 05:45:38 PM
Never messed up jerky. It either comes out for me or my dogs. Dont like wasting anything!LOL

that is a lot of work to make dog food.  :o ;D

viper125

Lol Well my wife for the biggest part is a vegetarian. Eats very little meat these days. So me and my dogs share my smoked meat all the time.. So far haven't had any that bad hope I never do. But hey it could happen! LOL
Inside setup.

pikeman_95

Quarlow

I posted the dehydrator information on my jerky thread.

Kirby