• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami Question

Started by josbocc, January 29, 2010, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: cgaengineer on January 29, 2010, 06:57:48 PM
Tripple D just has a segment on a deli in NY that makes their own pastrami...pickled for 30 days in Big Brute trash cans.

I just walked in at the end of that!   Missed what went in it.  :(

cgaengineer

Pink salt was what they were pouring in the cans.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

cgaengineer

Set your DVR for 12:30 am that episode comes on again.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

wyogoob

Quote from: cgaengineer on January 29, 2010, 06:57:48 PM
Tripple D just has a segment on a deli in NY that makes their own pastrami...pickled for 30 days in Big Brute trash cans.

Yep, I do my pastrami wet.
Boil brine, let cool.
Pump meat with brine and then soak for 3 to 4 weeks.
Drain, and then roll in coriander/blk pepper.
Life's been good to me so far.

cgaengineer

I prefer to dry cure mine...its quicker!

This is the recipe I use and the technique....it has turned out well all but 2 times and that was due to someone requested the use of london broil instead of brisket and it was dry and had a white line of uncured in the center due to the meats density. I may try a wet cure if doing and entire packer and see what happens...my problem is that storage is a premium and the wait is too long but I am sure it produces very good pastrami. Do you mind posting your recipe and technique?

http://www.mybarbecuepal.com/viewtopic.php?t=4

Ka Honu

Quote from: cgaengineer on February 02, 2010, 03:29:16 AM... london broil ...

???  I always thought London Broil was a method of preparation, not a cut of meat.

cgaengineer

Not around here it aint...maybe in London? :)

FLBentRider

cribbed from askthemeatman.com:

Let's get it straight, London Broil is a Cooking Method -
NOT a cut of beef!!

But, many grocery store meat departments and butcher shops sell a cut of beef labeled London Broil.
What cut of beef is it usually?

It is usually Top Round Roast.

Most often it is a Top Round Roast.  Often I have seen recipes calling for a London Broil using a Top Round Steak - posted as a 2 inch thick, 5 to 6 lb. steak!!
This is not a Top Round Steak, but a Top Round Roast.  When I have a customer who requests a London Broil, I cut them a large Top Round Roast.
Now that we have that straight-what is the cooking method that makes a London Broil?
The characteristics common to most London Broil Recipes call for:

*      Marinating the beef
    *      Broiling the beef to medium rare in a oven or
    *      Grilling the beef to medium rare in a bar-b-q grill
    *      Slicing the finished dish thinly, across the grain, at a 45 degree angle
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

Since we are "off topic"...  I grilled a store cut "London  Broil" over the weekend.  I grilled on my gas grill about 6 minutes each side to get medium rare and let sit 20min. (my wife hates that part)  I made some au jus and had a some horseradish sauce for dipping.  I sliced very thin and the meat was the most tender I have ever had it. 

The next night for leftovers I reheated in the oven wrapped in tin foil with the remaining au jus.  Once reheated I chopped in the food processor and put in a sauce pan with some of the dripping.  Made a wonderful steak sandwhich!!!

And I thought I didnt like the "London Broil"
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

wyogoob

Quote from: cgaengineer on February 02, 2010, 03:29:16 AM

This is the recipe I use and the technique....it has turned out well all but 2 times and that was due to someone requested the use of london broil instead of brisket and it was dry and had a white line of uncured in the center due to the meats density. I may try a wet cure if doing and entire packer and see what happens...my problem is that storage is a premium and the wait is too long but I am sure it produces very good pastrami. Do you mind posting your recipe and technique?

Are you asking for my pastrami recipe? OK

5-7 lbs - beef brisket, or wild game rump roast
Ingredients:
7 tbsp - Morton's Tenderquick
1 tbsp - garlic powder
1/4 cup - sugar
2 1/2 quarts - water

Rub:
1 tbsp - salt
2 tbsp - coriander
3 tbsp - coarse black pepper

> Mix ingredients with 1/2 of the water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
> Add the other 1/2 of the water and let the brine cool.
> Pump the meat at a rate of 2 cups per 5 lbs of meat.
> Store meat with brine in a ziploc bag for 7 days if pumped, 21 to 28 days if not pumped.
> Remove from brine and drain for 2 hrs.
> Rub meat with salt, coriander and pepper mixture.
> Cook at 200° until IT is 152°. no smoke

It's what I have used for over 35 years, mostly for wild game, especially elk. On larger bull elk or moose, we will use the brisket.
Life's been good to me so far.

cgaengineer

Quote from: wyogoob on February 13, 2010, 10:06:36 PM
Quote from: cgaengineer on February 02, 2010, 03:29:16 AM

Are you asking for my pastrami recipe? OK

5-7 lbs - beef brisket, or wild game rump roast
Ingredients:
7 tbsp - Morton's Tenderquick
1 tbsp - garlic powder
1/4 cup - sugar
2 1/2 quarts - water

Rub:
1 tbsp - salt
2 tbsp - coriander
3 tbsp - coarse black pepper

> Mix ingredients with 1/2 of the water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
> Add the other 1/2 of the water and let the brine cool.
> Pump the meat at a rate of 2 cups per 5 lbs of meat.
> Store meat with brine in a ziploc bag for 7 days if pumped, 21 to 28 days if not pumped.
> Remove from brine and drain for 2 hrs.
> Rub meat with salt, coriander and pepper mixture.
> Cook at 200° until IT is 152°. no smoke

It's what I have used for over 35 years, mostly for wild game, especially elk. On larger bull elk or moose, we will use the brisket.

Thank you, I will add this recipe to my book! I am gonna grab my fridge from my other house so I have more cooler space to do more brining and curing.

Habanero Smoker

There are a few pastrami recipes on the recipe site. Also I would suggest not to add salt to the rub.

I'm getting ready to make some pastrami. Brisket prices have sky rocketed in my area, so I going to use top round. The top round was the same price, but if you got the London Broil cut, you buy one and got one free. I talked one of the meat cutters to cut mine extra thick.

Pastrami
Beef Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cgaengineer

I'm trying a sirloin tip roast right now, hopefully it turns out well.