• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoke under way.... Sanity check please!!!

Started by rosecustom, April 09, 2012, 08:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosecustom

Ribs of course.  The BB's are huffing away.  I do have a newbie question or two.  I'm about 1 1/2 hr. into the smoke and the PID says 200 on its way to 225. Using the 3-2-1- method does the "3" start when you first put them in?  At the rate I'm going the ribs will only be @ 225 for about an hour.  Since its fairly windy today I decided to do step #2 in the house oven then finish up in the BS.  One other thing.  I'm getting a fair amount of smoke backing up through the SG.   Is that a bad thing?  I've been playing around with the vent and even tried putting a flower pot over it but it didn't seem to help.
Tks.
Jeff.

devo

Vent wide open, smoke needs someplace to get out. Backing up can be because you said its windy but always always keep the vent wide open

TedEbear

Quote from: rosecustom on April 09, 2012, 08:46:10 AMUsing the 3-2-1- method does the "3" start when you first put them in? 

Yes.  Make sure that you preheat the smoker before putting the ribs in it. Also, it's a good idea to set the ribs out on the counter while the smoker is preheating so they'll be close to room temp and won't cause as much of a drop in the chamber temp when you add them to the chamber.

If that 3-2-1 doesn't make them as fall-off-the-bone tender as you had hoped for try experimenting wit the numbers a bit the next time.  I've had pretty good results with 2-3-.5 on my last batch of spare ribs.

rosecustom

Thanks for the advice.  Its wide open now.  I`ll let you know how I make out.

TedEbear

mikecorn.1

I keep my vent open all the way. I saw a pic here once where a member had taken the vent off. I think it was Sonny (CRG). 
Smoke and moisture backing up thru the SG could cause you problems. The 3 starts when you put them in but the 3-2-1 method is more of a guide. You can vary it however you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike