• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef tongue

Started by Roadkill, February 27, 2006, 10:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

I think now,I have finally waded thru all the posts in this forum,along with the recipes. One piece of meat that I considered alomost as great as prime rib,was beef tongue.When I read the posts about the ChabCheez recipes,I started to wonder how easy,and how great,beef tongue would tatse.
  From agews ago,I remember I used to boil the tongue,to peel off the outer layer,then put it back in the over,seasoned with a little garlic,onions,and salt and pepper.Low heat,and a few hours time,you alsmost didn't need to use a fork,to cut this.And the tatse?It would rival the best roast beef and win,hands down every time.Beef tongue is excellent,and has a huge amount of flavor,and reading all the recipes and not seeing anything about it,made me wonder.
  If it were still boiled,just long enough to de-skin the outer layer,then thinly sliced,I know it would redily accept smoke,and the flavor would have to be out of this world,and thought the ChabCheez recipes is a great place to start.But I would think,you would not need a lot of extra additives,or you would cover the great tatse of this meat,completely up.Anyone try beef tongue before,and see a way to incorporate it into a Bradley?

"PINK"-the only way,to devour a steak!

Oldman

Roadkill,

I have never used beef tongue. However, based upon what you are saying I think you could do it like a Texas syled brisket.

Remove the outer layer.
Add your best salt and black & white pepper.
Smoke @ 190F from 2 to 4 hours using oak.
Remove and wrap in a foil boat and add a couple of ounces of apple juice.
Return to smoker and move temp up to 205 F.
Cook to the range you want--- rare to well done.

I would have no problem trying this as I have had beef hearts...BTW YUCK~~! However, if I did my Wife and Mother would beat me over the head with my smoker... [B)][B)][B)]

If you try this let us know and E-mail me directly as I would, if you like the results to, add this to the recipe site.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Roadkill

I was thinking more in the area of once I remove the outer skin,then to take the tongue,as if it were a log,,,and with a sharp knife,cutting it possibly 1/8" thick,as you unroll it,It would resemble a danish breakfast donut,as it looks in the package.I realize there is some unsightly veins,towards the middle of the tongue,which could be removed during slicing. but the taste of tongue is rich,,moist,and does not resemble anything else in my opinion.As delicate as it is,it should take to smoke well,,it's as tender as filet mignon,when done in the oven,,,slow smoking would only enhance this,eh?
  Then,you could add this in a layer,with chicken breast,and some provolone cheese,possibly some country ham,and roll up,and put bacon on the outside layer,,my mouths watering already here!!
"PINK"-the only way,to devour a steak!

BigSmoker

I've eaten a few tongue tacos.  I could eat them but wouldn't be my pick it other stuff is avaliable.  Keep us posted if you try it[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Gordon

yeah, right up there with "I smoked my buddy's dead lizard."

I just gotta say yuck...really.  My wife would not speak to me.

Gordo
Unskyled layber

iceman

Good grief Gordo, a lizard for crying out loud? Ann didn't look me straight in the eye for months after I did a rattle snake. She's just thankful we're in Alaska and I can't get my grubby paws on any snakes. I bet the lizard didn't taste like chicken.[:o)] I did the rattler in CA. at my brothers house while visiting. It was a bet of course and his wife now thinks I've lost touch with the world as she knows it. She had pizza and like a good girl saved us some (just in case).[;)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />yeah, right up there with "I smoked my buddy's dead lizard."

I just gotta say yuck...really.  My wife would not speak to me.

Gordo
Unskyled layber

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">