• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A try at GB jerky

Started by GusRobin, June 24, 2012, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

While I have made jerky from sliced beef, this was my first try using GB. I was at a little disadvantage since I don't have a jerky gun. so I had to improvise. ( I'll apologize now for the lousy photography)

Started the night before and mixed up the "Uncle Abe's " jerky mix.

All mixed up and resting for a bit. It was a long hot day here in 'bama and if the meat didn't need to rest I needed a beverage and a moment of relaxation.

Since I didn't have a jerky gun, I used a pizza pan and a cookie sheet. Put the meat in both and covered with a sheet of wax paper. Used a roller to roll it thin. First lesson learned, --the cookie sheet was too deep, the pizza pan just right.

Once the meat was rolled out, I used a pizza cutter to cut into strips. 

I then placed on the frog mats. Lesson 2 - put wax paper on the bottom of the pan before I add the meat and roll it. This would probably make it easier to put in the racks.

Put in the fridge overnight. Woke up this morning and put it in the Bradley for 1 hr at 140*; 2 hours at 150* with hickory smoke; and then at 160* until done. The strips cut in the pizza pan were done in about 6 hours. The thicker ones took close to 9-11 hours. (I think I left some of them in too long, but they were thick so it was hard to judge using the bending test.
All done and into the fridge overnight.

Main lesson learned - need to get a jerky gun.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Not bad Gus for making without a gun ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Looks good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kahunas

Good job, I agree, the last time I make GB jerky I also used a pizza cutter. Need a gun.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rsherman24

Great looking jerky.  The gun will make your life much easier, but looks like you got great results.

SiFumar

Looks good! How was the taste? 

pikeman_95

Gus
don't give up on the jerky board just yet. Take a look at these links. I can produce good looking strips and really crowd the smoker.
You might also take note of the fat removing process. The more fat that you get out of it the better jerky you will get.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25768.0

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20BATCH%20OF%20GROUND%20BEEF%20JERKY/?action=view&current=Jerkyboardvideo.mp4

Sailor

They sure look good to me Gus.  Nice job.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.