Fat extracted ground beef jerky using jerky board.

Started by pikeman_95, November 27, 2011, 04:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

I received 15 pounds of high fat meat patties from my brother-in-law. It had way too much fat, probably 20+%. I tried a fat extraction technique I learned on the food tech channel. I added 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the 15 pounds and gave it a good mixing in my 5 gallon mixer. Then I put into the mixing tub and swished it around. The fat stuck to the tub and not the meat. I just made sure that I did not scrape the tub with my fingers while moving the meat around.

this is what the meat looked like before I started.

After mixing I then started swishing and rolling it around in  the tub. Notice the fat sticking and not much of the meat.

I then took a spatula and started scraping off the fat. I did this about three times. All the time the ground meat is looking darker.

Just the fat stuck to the tote and not the meat. I collected 2 1/2 pounds of fat counting the fat that was stuck to my gloves. I figure I removed over 3 pounds of fat.

After I removed the fat I then added the spice and the cure and headed back to the mixing bucket. I pulled even more fat off the bucket when this process was done.

All mixed and ready to make sticks out of. As usual it started to turn brown after the cure was added.

Here is a video of the rolling and stick making process. I have stainless sheets that fit between the jerky board spacers.

https://vimeo.com/246894240

Here is also a couple of stills.

After a day in the fridge I headed for the smoker. Only because I had too much to do to take time to smoke it.

Here it is going to the smoker.

https://vimeo.com/246894372

after the smoker for about 4 hours I placed it into the dehydrator and it spent about 24 hours in there and the wrapped and ready for the freezer.

Now ready to cut up and put away.

Now the bend test. It will bend and not break. If you leave too much moisture in the jerky it will break apart when frozen. That is why this test is important.

The cut test. It should be one color all the way through.

Ready for the freezer.

This should be good for a couple of years the the freezer.

Kirby

GusRobin

Looks great Kirby. Great process for removinfg the fat. Couple questions:
1) Is that a homemade dehydrator? looks good
2) the jerky board - stainless steel sheet on a piece of plywood? What is the white plastic looking material and is it easy to get?

again, great looking jerky.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Wow really like the fat removal trick. After all its the fat that don't cure and turns bad. I am going to try this. now do you use a cool tote or any other thing or does it stick at room temp. This would really improve my jerky. I also like you board and cutter. Thanks for sharing!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

MidKnightRider

Quote from: GusRobin on November 27, 2011, 05:12:20 PM
Is that a homemade dehydrator? looks good
X 2, how about a little info on the dehydrator? Where does the heat come from, fan, etc..

Jerky does look good!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

pikeman_95

Quote from: GusRobin on November 27, 2011, 05:12:20 PM
Looks great Kirby. Great process for removing the fat. Couple questions:
1) Is that a homemade dehydrator? looks good
2) the jerky board - stainless steel sheet on a piece of plywood? What is the white plastic looking material and is it easy to get?

again, great looking jerky.

Gus
Yes that is a home made dehydrator. About 25 years ago everybody was building one. I have found two of them. If you would like I could take some dimensions and photos. This is an easy build.
The jerky board is a sink cut out from a counter top. find any finish Carpenter and you probably get all of these that you want. The cutout is already covered with formica.

The strips are cut out of 1/4 thick x1/2 inch wide strips of HDPE plastic. High density Polyethylene plastic. Any plastic supply store will be able to cut them for you.  If you do not want to purchase stainless sheets make your board fit the width of heavy duty aluminum foil.

Kirby

GusRobin

kirby,
Thanks for the info. yes I would be interested in some dimensions and photos. What is the heat source?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pikeman_95

Quote from: viper125 on November 27, 2011, 07:13:23 PM
Now do you use a cool tote or any other thing or does it stick at room temp. This would really improve my jerky. I also like you board and cutter. Thanks for sharing!

I started out with a tote that I set outside to get cold. I think that didn't last long. It seems to work well at room temperature. If I had kept at rolling the meat around and scraping the fat I could have gotten even more out. By the way I used soy vay veri veri teriyaki and crushed red pepper for the 15 pounds I used 4 3/4 cups. [ that emptied the bottle. I also used 3 1/2 Tb. spoons of crushed red pepper along with 3 tsp of cure #1. I think the leaner the meat you will have to cut back on the teriyaki as I lost some flavoring from fat that rendered out during the smoking process. You loose flavoring with the rendering of the fat. I kind of figured on this but with something like straight venison I would cut it back to 4 cups for 15 pounds.

This a very simple batch to make and it turned out great.
My wife loves it but would have ratherd I used straight venison. I will next time.

I will take pictures of the dehydrator tomorrow and get some measurements.
Kirby

pikeman_95

Quote from: GusRobin on November 27, 2011, 08:25:52 PM
Kirby,
Thanks for the info. yes I would be interested in some dimensions and photos. What is the heat source?

Gus
It has a coiled wire heating element with a thermostat. For air flow you crack the lid and let the convection currents change out the air.
I will try to find out some more detail on the heating system.

Kirby

Quarlow

I am interested in your dryer also Kirby. A few of us have been discussing them lately.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Caneyscud

ditto,

I'm too lazy to find my old Mother Earth News and Rodale's and look up plans in them!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Very nice Kirby...Good idea to.

Jerky looks great.

muebe

Jerky looks great! And thanks for the fat removal tip ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Sailor

Thanks for the videos and shots.  Always interested in how you do things.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Keymaster

Nice job kirby, Jerky looks store baught its so perfect :) I gotta make one of them jerky board and jerky cutter, thats great no knives to dull on the stainless

pikeman_95

Quote from: Quarlow on November 27, 2011, 08:57:55 PM
I am interested in your dryer also Kirby. A few of us have been discussing them lately.

OK here you go, picture with the top removed. I have two of these and they work great.

Picture of the front.

here is the shelf detail

now the heater detail. i pulled the heater out and set it on top.

If you need more detail let me know and I will try to get the answers.

Kirby