• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tri Tip Receipe

Started by kitwells, August 15, 2012, 09:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitwells

I'm new to the Bradley Smoker.  Having a b'day party tonight for my nephew and he requested a smoked tri tip.  Need suggestions on best way to do it.

Kahunas

Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Smoke to Medium rare with your favorite wood. I like cherry or pecan or both for beef.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

muebe

Now I have grilled and smoked many Tri-Tips before. I have always taken them to the 140F internal temp range.

Just recently I decided to make one more like a brisket. I got this idea from a friend that does it all the time. I have to admit it turned out fantastic!

I put it on the pellet grill at 260F until the IT of the tri-tip was at 130F. Then I removed it and wrapped it tightly in foil with garlic, butter, and more rub. Then returned it to the grill until the IT was at 200F. I let it rest for an hour and it was so tender. I was shocked.

Don't know if you want to give this a try but it is really good.

Otherwise you can rub the tri-tip in white pepper, black pepper, and salt. Then stuff it with garlic slivers by making slits with a filet knife in the meat going with the grain and then push the garlic into the slits.

Then get a cast iron skillet with a small layer of oil searing hot. Take the tri-tip and place it in the skillet for a few minutes a side. This closes the slits and forms a nice outer crust.

Now cook indirect until you get to a IT of 140F then pull, rest, and slice across the grain.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)