• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A Bradley smoke ring

Started by DetroitSmoke, December 11, 2012, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitSmoke

From the post I have read the Bradley wont produce a smoke ring.  Somehow I managed to get a nice ring with my OBS and a sirloin pork roast.  The only thing I did different is when it reached close to an IT of 165F I shut off the SG and element and fan then closed the vent all the way and just left it for about 45 min.  It was smoking to beat the band and I didn't want to waste the smoke so I pulled the next puck up and left the one on the burner to burn out. I really don't think that was enough to make such a deep ring

Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

viper125

Wow not sure why you got it, but it is there. Looks great!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Well, I guess stranger things have happened but I'm not buying this yet.  What kind and cut of pork sirloin roast was it?  Did you cook it 100% in the Bradley and if so using only Bradley pucks?  Was it a fresh piece of pork or was it something that had been brined or injected or treated in any manner prior to packaging?  Had it been cured at all?  What kind of Rub if any did you use on it?

I'm confident that folks much much more knowledgeable than me will come along and help me to understand how that ring is on the meat.

SiFumar

Sometimes a rub has ingredients that make a ring.  Jus saying....

Keymaster

Dang nice job on that Pork, nice smoke ring Mister!!

NePaSmoKer

If your pork was injected (at the processing facility) you may get a ring, or you use a brine, rub with cure.

Your Bradley smoke generator will not make a smoke ring unless your pucks are catching fire.

Why?

The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood COMBUSTION in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

Just saying

SMOKE ON

DetroitSmoke

This is a pork sirloin tip roast from Costco.  It was somewhat flat so I trussed it to cut down on the surface area. All I used on it was a rub then let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours. 3.5 hours of Bradley Hickory pucks later it was done. 100% in my rescued OBS.

Just got one from the freezer.  The package stated that it is "Enhanced with up to 10% of a solution of Pork Broth, Sodium Cirate, and Natural Salt".  Googled Sodium Cirate turns out its a sodium salt of citric acid.  Have no clue what that means but it sure tasted good.  Dats ah Iz nees ta no

Bradley BTIS1
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill

Habanero Smoker

First I would like to mention, I don't believe you attempted to fool anyone on this forum.

Sodium Cirate is very similar to sodium erythorbate and sodium ascorbate that are used in food processing, sausage making and curing. They  are mainly cure accelerators, but also have antioxidant properties that prevents oxidative rancidity, and pigment oxidation. Thus they provide a more uniform color, and helps maintain color brightness.

But the color should be uniform throughout the meat. I have only cooked enhance pork once and not to that temperature. The pork I had was enhanced with salt a phosphate solution, and I only cook my pork to 140 - 145°F. I have no experience with Sodium Cirate, but it could be that the higher temperature may have produce a change in color, causing the ring. Your meat is hotter at the surface (when the meat is done, it will be very close to the cabinet temperature), and as you go towards the center it becomes cooler.

Or there may be something else going on that would create that color ring. A pink ring doesn't usually go any deeper then 1/4" deep. So it could be a number of things, that cause the Sodium Cirate to provide a darker color just under the surface of the meat.

Did you apply any rub? If so, what did it consist of?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DetroitSmoke

Yes, I used a basic rub nothing fancy.  It was a mix of brown sugar, paprika kosher salt, and cayenne - chili - garlic - onion powder.  I suspect something like what you said is the cause but it sure looks just like a smoke ring.  I am going to have to do this again to see if I can duplicate it.  Has anyone else smoked a pork sirloin tip roast from Costco?
Bradley BTIS1
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill

Habanero Smoker

I don't see anything in the rub, that can caused that ring. There are ways of mimicking a smoke ring. For that reason KCBS judges are instructed not to consider the smoke ring while judging for appearance.

If you are using the same product with Sodium Cirate; you are likely to get the same results. If you want to eliminate the Sodium Cirate as the factor, then get a fresh loin, and brine it in a simple salt brine for a few hours. Then smoke/cook the way you did the enhanced pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smoker pete

I smoke/roast these Costco Sirloin Tip Roasts all the time in my MAK 2 pellet smoker/grill.  The smoke ring has always been about the same no matter which method I've used.  Note that these cooks have a similar smoke ring to the results DetroitSmoke got from his Bradley.  I agree with those that say it's probably due to the 10% enhancement during processing.  I agree with NePaSmoKer's description of how/why a smoke ring is created.  Here are a few examples of my methods and results:

** Check out the Nutritional Facts at the bottom of the post ... it might surprise you.

45 minutes of Cherry smoke at 200ºF then finished at 350ºF

250ºF all the way using Hickory pellets

Roasted at 350ºF using Apple pellets

Certain cuts of Pork are leaner than Chicken Drumsticks or a Turkey Breast.  Here are some numbers on these little 3 lb Pork Sirloin Tip Roasts you might find interesting.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

Organic fuel such as wood, charcoal, natural gas or propane can create a smoke ring. Smoke ring is a misnomer, because it is not caused by the smoke. You can get a "smoke ring" from using your propane or natural gas oven, as long as the meat is uncovered and you use the low and slow method of cooking. But as I mentioned before, other chemical reactions can mimic the "smoke ring".

In circles outside the BBQ circuit the smoke ring is called a pink ring. The ring is caused by the burning of organic fuel, which causes a chemical reaction that produces nitrogen dioxide. This dissolves into the meat's surface, which then it is believed it forms nitrous acid, then further converts to nitric oxide. It is the nitric oxide that reacts to the myoglobin which stabilizes the pinkish color to form the ring. This reaction is similar to what nitrites do when in comes in contact with meat. This reaction can penetrate to a depth of 1/4 to 3/8 inch (8-10 mm).

Although the bisquette falls into the category of organic fuel; to produce nitrogen dioxide in sufficient quantities, the fuel must be burned at a much higher temperature then the bisquettes that smolder on the hot plate.

Ironically I can't seem to produce a "smoke ring" with my charcoal burner. If I get one it is very faint.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Hab! Just wondering,since bradley pucks are all hard wood why dont they do it the same as regular wood? Sorry didnt catch the last part till i posted!  :)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on December 14, 2012, 02:41:08 PM
Hab! Just wondering,since bradley pucks are all hard wood why dont they do it the same as regular wood? Sorry didnt catch the last part till i posted!  :)
The wood pucks dont burn hot enough.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

DetroitSmoke

Sure are some mighty fine looking vittles Smoker Pete.  I want that potato.

I like the Costco pork sirloin tip roasts.  Come in easy to freeze vac packs.  Just bring them home and throw them in the freezer.  They are also a good size for my family who eats like birds and don't eat leftovers.  It is up to me to eat what ever I cook for breakfast lunch and dinner till it's gone.  Gets tiring about day three.

Since you achieved the same resultes as I did and the only unique ingredient is Sodium Cirate that must be what causing the "smoke ring".  Mystery solved. 

Smoke em' if you got em'
Bradley BTIS1
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill