A whole bunch of questions!

Started by HRL, May 11, 2014, 10:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HRL

So the weather here in my neck of the woods finally warmed up so I've decided to give my Bradley a test run with some extra thick pork chops. I have done the initial "break in" as recommended in the owners manual.

1. How far open should the damper be?

2. Can the damper be used to adjust temperature in addition to the slide control on the element? 

3. I've brined the chops overnight as per a recipe I found on a google search. Should I be smoking to a finished product or smoking for flavour then finishing on the grill?

4. What would the ideal smoker temperature be? Internal temp of meat? I have a remote meat thermometer.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give!

WoodlawnSmoker

I'll give it a go and I'm sure others will give you their thoughts too.

1.  I mostly leave mine wide open, sometimes I will close it just a bit early on in the smoke and open later.
2.  It seems to me that the temperature does best (constant) when left wide open.
3.  That's a personal preference, for chops I like to finish on the grill to sear them a bit and get a bit of bark.
4.  220 - 230 is a good temperature to use for pork.  I will take my pork out at 140 IT and let them rest for 5-10 minutes, this brings the juice back in and the temperature will rise a bit to 145 or so.  If you are finishing on the grill maybe pull them a bit earlier.

Wildcat

I would suggest 1 to 2 hours of smoke for the chops. Any more than 4 hours on anything is a waste in my opinion.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Many leave the vent wide open, but I utilize the vent. Here are some tips on the vent:
Whats The Pupose of The Vent

The below link is a chart that has the USDA recommended internal temperatures; and commonly used temperatures:
When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

My vent has been wide open since the day I did my first smoke; I usually cook everything at 225* (Bradley does best as a low and slow smoker.) IT of the meat depends on what you are cooking.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

HRL

Thanks for all the tips...chops turned out pretty good although the wind came up and the temp dropped so I could only maintain 180....finished a couple on the grill and vac packed and froze the rest.