• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question about WTS Brisket Recipe

Started by jb, June 13, 2014, 10:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

I want to use this recipe since this will be my first brisket and it seems like the simplest to follow. I cannot, however, determine about how long to keep the brisket in the oven. He says to smoke for 4 hours and then when the smoker recovers to 220 (~6 hours), transfer to oven at 220. Then this:

"Okie Dokie, out of the oven. Doing brisket I don't shoot for any internal temperature more so just low and slow"

But no comment about how long it should take. I appreciate any help!

tailfeathers

I don't know that anyone will be able to give you a very specific time. I would probably allow a couple of hours per lb to be safe. I see he doesn't go by IT but I would monitor it all the same. When it nears 190 check to see if it is fork tender. If it isn't keep cooking until it is. When it is done you can slice and eat if you are ready to, if not you can FTC it for quite a while. Seal in a couple layers of foil, wrap in an old towel and put it in the smallest available cooler that will hold it. Put a couple layers of newspaper on top before closing the cooler and it will still be to hot to handle with bare hands for at least four hours. You really can't start to early, just don't start to late! Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

If you go to the recipe site there may be further instructions. Towards the bottom of the recipe he states "Okie Dokie, out of the oven. Doing brisket I don't shoot for any internal temperature more so just low and slow, but if I we're to guess probably 190-205."

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 13, 2014, 01:00:06 PM
If you go to the recipe site there may be further instructions. Towards the bottom of the recipe he states "Okie Dokie, out of the oven. Doing brisket I don't shoot for any internal temperature more so just low and slow, but if I we're to guess probably 190-205."

I saw that but the problem (and the reason for my question) is that the brisket is tightly wrapped in foil during that stage. I don't want to be opening and closing that several times. It would be good to have a rough idea of the overall time so that I kind of know when to start checking the IT.

tskeeter

Quote from: jb on June 13, 2014, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 13, 2014, 01:00:06 PM

I saw that but the problem (and the reason for my question) is that the brisket is tightly wrapped in foil during that stage. I don't want to be opening and closing that several times. It would be good to have a rough idea of the overall time so that I kind of know when to start checking the IT.

jb, I'd just stick the thermometer through the foil.  A small hole from a thermometer stem isn't going to make any difference to your cooking process.  Just be careful not to puncture the bottom of the foil so that juices leak out and make a mess.

By the way, lots of folks use a remote thermometer when doing large cuts of meat.  Avoids opening and closing smokers and ovens and allows you to monitor the internal temp every time you go by the oven.  These aren't too expensive.  I think I bought a Poulder brand for $25 or $35.  Even better, and significantly more expensive, are the wireless models, such as the Maverick 733, which have a display and sender unit that stays close to the oven, and a portable remote display that you can carry around the house and yard with you.  This means you can watch football, and check on the smoker between plays without leaving your recliner.

KyNola

There just isn't a hard and fast rule for time but if the brisket is wrapped in foil and you are putting liquid in the foil with the brisket prior to transferring to the oven I would check it after 90 minutes or so.  The steaming action in the package will speed up the cooking process.

Habanero Smoker

Most monitor their cooks with either a probe or remote thermometer. The best way is what tskeeter suggested, which is to use probe thermometer that is inserted through the foil. You will not have to keep unwrapping, and/or opening the door. If it is within your budget, then a remote thermometer like the Maverick ET-733 thermometer is more convenient. Reviewing the recipe and depending on the recovery time of your Bradley, you are probably looking at several more hours, after the brisket has been transferred to the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb