Paging Dr. Brisket

Started by robs, September 02, 2006, 04:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

Quote from: BigSmoker on September 13, 2006, 06:13:50 PM
Brisket is in the eyes of the beholder I'd say.  I'm with Olds on the Oak ;).  As far as some of the other advice some of it is just repeated from what has been heard here many times from the real smokers and is then just thrown back as their advice.  One place I will differ is I'll punch the temp up around 250f but nothing wrong with the 212 and under either. Olds again gives on spot for if its not enough smoke flavor then cold smoke and wrap in the fridge until the next day.  I don't want to get in a contest about who does what or who does this or that but this is my current procedure and I like it but others may not and that ok cause to each his own.  Me personally I will buy a whole brisket.  Seperate the point from the flat.  Inject both pieces(10% volume of injection to the weight of the meat) with a mixture of maple syrup, apple juice, rub, a little water, woster sauce.  Let it sit in the fridge for 6 hour to 24 hours.  Put it in the smoker cold.  Smoke with oak and apple 2 oak 1 apple for a total of 6 hours.  When the internal temp gets to 170f I pull it out and wrap it in foil that has some turbinado sugar(2or3 TBSP) and some apple juice(3oz.) in the bottom.  Seal the foil real good and back in the smoker until the internal reaches about 190f but not more than 190f.  FTC for several hours then its ready.  Collect the juices from the foil and put them in the freezer so the fat will come to the top.  Discard the fat.  Mix those juices with your favorite bbq sauce.  slice the brisket across the grain(very important) dredge the slices in the sauce/juice stuff and serve hot ;D.  This is more ramblings than anything but I feel sure you won't have pot roast here ;D.  Oh yea the point.  when the flat is done remove the point and cube it into 1" pieces.  Mix with a generous amount of  your favorite Q sauce in a foil pan and return to the snoker for 2-4 more hours at 250.  When they are kinda jerky like you are done.  I hope this helps make your brisket better.     

Ah - I found Dr. Brisket. Thanks for the information. I will post the results.

rob

Oldman

Quote Collect the juices from the foil and put them in the freezer so the fat will come to the top.  Discard the fat.  Mix those juices with your favorite bbq sauce.

Now this is a darn good idea... Thanks!!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

Does anyone else inject their brisket? This should cut the cooking time down, correct?

How to the brisket champs make good brisket in competition when they don't have 20 hrs to cook? Or do they have 20 hrs?

agent provocateur

get your 20 year old dairy cow brisket here...

coyote

Hey Robs,
             On a lot of the BBQ competition shows on Food tv and Oln , they talk about 20 and 23 hour cooks when it comes to brisket.
                                                                         Coyote

BigSmoker

Quote from: robs on September 13, 2006, 06:57:56 PM
Does anyone else inject their brisket? This should cut the cooking time down, correct?

How to the brisket champs make good brisket in competition when they don't have 20 hrs to cook? Or do they have 20 hrs?

My post above gives a general injection outline.  It definitely cuts down on the cook time.  In a competition you have 20 hours + if you have the right/big enough cooker.  I normally do my flats in a competition in 12 hours.  You must cook at a higher temp to do this though.  HTH. 
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

BigSmoker

Quote from: Oldman on September 13, 2006, 06:54:45 PM
Quote Collect the juices from the foil and put them in the freezer so the fat will come to the top.  Discard the fat.  Mix those juices with your favorite bbq sauce.

Now this is a darn good idea... Thanks!!

You're Welcome ;D.

bubbagump

Quote from: BigSmoker on September 13, 2006, 06:13:50 PM
As far as some of the other advice some of it is just repeated from what has been heard here many times from the real smokers and is then just thrown back as their advice.

BigSmoker,

Help me out with that statement.??? 

Isn't sharing advice part of the learning process here? You can't tell me that every piece of advice you've given to members on this forum originated with you and none of it was passed on from advice you received from someone else. And each time you shared advice and information you received from others did you acknowledge the source. Of course not, no one would expect you to.

If a person can join this forum and learn from others and then, in turn, feel comfortable enough to share what they've learned with other new members, then this forum is fulfilling its intent. If people are made to feel unqualified to offer advice, or hesitant because someone else may feel their thunder is being stolen, then this forum is doomed to fail.

Fortunately the atmosphere here is positive and friendly (most of the time ;)). And I constantly see members acknowledging each other for the help or ideas they receive. That's what it's all about.

Also, who are the "real smokers"? I had to chuckle when I read that.

Take care,

Bubbagump

Oldman

QuoteAlso, who are the "real smokers"?

Bubbagump I think I know why this statement was made. Without getting into it other than in a general term, before you became a member there was a big problem of a couple of newbies who never smoked stating ideas as if they were their own.

I believe that is what BigSmoker is referring to. I don't think he made that statement for any other reason.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bubbagump

Quote from: Oldman on September 15, 2006, 03:47:26 AM

Bubbagump I think I know why this statement was made. Without getting into it other than in a general term, before you became a member there was a big problem of a couple of newbies who never smoked stating ideas as if they were their own.

I believe that is what BigSmoker is referring to. I don't think he made that statement for any other reason.

Olds

Hi Olds,

Well if the statement was based on something that happened in the past then what relevance does it have now?  ???

It appeared to me that it was based on the context this thread, which in my opinion had no merit. It just came across as rather arrogant and insulting, and that's why I questioned it.

Thanks Olds,

Bubbagump

Wildcat

Bubbagump,

You have been very helpful to me since I have joined this forum and I appreciate it very much.  I just wanted to give you and everyone else that may be feeling as you do something to ponder.  The statments may have been with the arrogance that you perceived and maybe not.  I do not think it really matters.  Sometimes we all come across the wrong way by accident (attempt at making a joke, in a hurry, not thinking ahead on how others will perceive, etc.) and sometimes we are just in a bad mood.  If his attitude/personality was like you think then it will eventually become evident and he will probably either make amends or be avoided.  In the mean time, we are all adults and should be able to deal with a situation without anamosity.  You have questioned his motives so until he replies lets let him think it over and respond.  I believe everyone should not be overly sensitive and if something takes place that another finds objectinable, then question it in an adult manner and give them a chance to explain themself.  Over the years I have found myself coming across in a way that I did not mean a number of times.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

BigSmoker

Quote from: Oldman on September 15, 2006, 03:47:26 AM

Olds

Thanks Olds.