Paging Dr. Brisket

Started by robs, September 02, 2006, 04:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

I love brisket.

I make it every weekend.
It never turns out.
It allways tastes like a frickin roast and has no smoke flavor.
It's never moist.

1. I've tried various rubs
2. Choice grade flats 6-8 lbs
3. Good fat caps
4. Box temp 225 f.
5. Internal temp 195-205.
6. Vent open 1/4 to 1/3
7. Change water bowl after 4
8. 4 hours smoke (hickory)

Diagonse my problem Doctor. PM me the secret to making chapionship brisket.
The secret will remain between you and me forever. We have alot in common, you and I.

rob

icerat4

robs i use sams club choice brisket 6-8 pounds .your temps are to high.Here put 4 hours of any wood in for smoke your temps for the duration of the smoke should be 205- 215 max.Then after 4 hours smoke apple juice it down foil it up in a boat then either keep it in the smoker or put it in the oven at 215-220 and wait til internal temps it 175-180 .then let it sit a half hour before slicing. I know your real problem pm me and i will tell ya a little secret sir. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

heinz

Slightly off-thread... I just finished, or rather still in the process of, a couple of smaller briskets. The Point (thicker end :-) of one went into the freezer after 6 hrs of Mesquite. One was small enough to just fit on the rack so i left it whole. The flat of the bigger one is in the cooler.

I did the 6 hours of smoke at a DB preset of 220. It stayed well below that in actual box temp for most of the smoke only getting close near the end. Then I reduced the preset to 210, boated the briskets and stuck 'em back in. Box temp hovered around 200 on avarage.

When I boated the briskets I added a few tablespoons of applejuice/honey mixture.

Now to my questions. The result of the boating (wrapping in foil) was a LOT of juice/fat etc. that collected in the boat. When ftc'ing, do you empty the boat of juices or simply transfer from smoker to towelled cooler?

The results? Moist and tender. Taste is a littles sharp/salty so I'll be adjusting rub/length of time with rub next time and I might shorten the smoke time a bit.

I started this session at 11AM with a 1 hour preheat. Meat went in at 12:00. It's now 3AM. First one came out at 1AM and the last about an hour ago. Reason for the early start? I wanted a timeline for my particular environment so that next time we have guests I can have it ready in time instead of always having o fudge the back end.

Vent 1/2 all throughout. Briskets came out at 185-ish, The ish is because temp varied a bit between point and flat area. Did forget to change water during smoke. Not sure if that added to making the brisket a little too sharp. Perhaps just too much smoke.

bubbagump

Rob,

I've done a lot of briskets since purchasing my BS. Had similar experience as you the first couple of times. Main problem, as I found out, was that I was cooking them at too high of a box temperature and didn't realize at first that cooking brisket correctly takes a long time. 225 IMO is too high and will lead to dry end product. Low and slow, as they say, is the key.

Olds has mentioned in previous posts to keep temps below boiling point to prevent the moisture in meat from boiling off and becoming dry. Since reading that I have followed his advice and it has worked well for me.

I set my PID at 205 the whole time and never adjust it. I figure approx. 2 to 2-1/2 hours a pound. When it's done it's done. I usually put 5 hours of hickory on brisket and pork butt. I pull at 185 - 190, then FTC for up to 4 hours. My briskets always come out nice and tender now with good flavor.

Heinz - I can't offer any advice on the foil boat method as I have never tried that yet. I like to get a nice bark on the outside all the way around and I'm thinking the foil would prevent that.

Bubbagump

icerat4

bubba is right on the money. I second his opinion. ;)LOW AND SLOW.i Know its said plenty of timed here but ya gota stick to it i never smoke or cook past 210 in the box.Unless its meatloaf or chicken.

Oldman

robs,
So far everyone is on spot with their information. A couple of things you might want to try.
1. Hickory in my option is great for pork, but not worth a darn for beef.
  • Try Oak instead - four hours.
2. Open your vent just enough to keep the smoke from backing out of the generator.
3. Keep your box between 190 F - 205 F max.
4. Keep it simple, just salt and pepper.
5. Once the smoke has stopped coming out the vent boat your brisket with a splash of apple juice.
6. Return to smoker until meat is 185 F.
7. FTC the "boat" - juices and all until 190 F.

Now if there is still not enough smoke flavor for you then do this:
1. Cold smoke your cold brisket 4 hours using Oak.
2. Remove and wrap in plastic place in refrig for 48 hours.
3. Fire up the Bradley to 190 - 205 F
4. Hot smoke for 2 hours using Oak.
5. Boat the meat once the smoke stops coming out of the vent - a splash apple juice.
6. Return to smoker until meat is 185F/
7. FTC the "boat" - juices and all until 190F.
8. Remove from "boat"  from the FTC and  serve.

IMO beef will never take on as much smoke as pork. 

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bubbagump

Quote from: Oldman on September 03, 2006, 09:04:04 AM
.....Hickory in my option is great for pork, but not worth a darn for beef.
  • Try Oak instead - four hours.....

Olds - I look forward to trying Oak like you mention. I'm getting low on pucks and will be ordering some soon. Oak will definitely be on my list.  ;)

Bubbagump

icerat4

Robs ive learn from olds it took me a few briskets but i have to thanks you olds for all the info on these briskets.Follow his step and all will be fine.Thanks again old the last brisket i took it out at 180 internal and man that was awesome ;D.The biggest problem is the temp deal.Low and slow 205- 215 tops for me.WEll i have to go i have 2 smokers going with 30 plus pounds of pulled pork.YUMMY :D

Oldman

Rat Man I'm glad it worked out for you. What is funny is I've only been doing brisket for about a year...  There were two or three folks that got on my case about not doing one... so anyway here we are today.

Here of my one secrets, if it is a secret, that I will share with all.  Many of my solutions do not come out of my smoking background, but rather from the years upon years that I ran full service resturants. I believe my strongest point I have and wish that those that have not given this some thought would consider that Smoke is like salt and pepper. They enhance the experience. They don't become the experience.

If all I wanted was smoke I would go grap that liquid stuff off of the shelf and drink it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

Thanks for the ideas and support guys.

For starters, I'm going to:
1. Lower my box temp.
2. Get me some oak.

Who the hell is Dr. Brisket?

MallardWacker

Just my .02375 cents worth here.

Quote5. Internal temp 195-205.

I really don't think you are to far off here for great success.  If I could change one thing it would be the internal.  I would shoot for 185-187.  Pull the puppy then do a plain sealed FTC for at least two hours, anything higher than 187 IMHO you are looking for falling apart dried pot roast type scenario.  If you wanted to like others have suggested put a chug of apple juice in the foil.

Now for smoke...Pecan & Hickory...as you can see there are plenty of views about this.

Seasoning...stay to the plain type stuff when it comes to brisket.  I use a typical Italian seasoning, mainly salt, pepper, garlic and a few other spurious spices.  The one I use is called Cavenders from WalMart.

DR. BRISKET = Big Smoker ...everything that has been successful in my smoker has come from him when it comes to Brisket.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

iceman

Yup. What MW says.
BTW when did you get a raise MW? :D

robs

Sounds like some good advice here. I'll post the results.

Thanks again.

rob

icerat4

Robs only the best advice come out of these bs pros. ;D

BigSmoker

Brisket is in the eyes of the beholder I'd say.  I'm with Olds on the Oak ;).  As far as some of the other advice some of it is just repeated from what has been heard here many times from the real smokers and is then just thrown back as their advice.  One place I will differ is I'll punch the temp up around 250f but nothing wrong with the 212 and under either. Olds again gives on spot for if its not enough smoke flavor then cold smoke and wrap in the fridge until the next day.  I don't want to get in a contest about who does what or who does this or that but this is my current procedure and I like it but others may not and that ok cause to each his own.  Me personally I will buy a whole brisket.  Seperate the point from the flat.  Inject both pieces(10% volume of injection to the weight of the meat) with a mixture of maple syrup, apple juice, rub, a little water, woster sauce.  Let it sit in the fridge for 6 hour to 24 hours.  Put it in the smoker cold.  Smoke with oak and apple 2 oak 1 apple for a total of 6 hours.  When the internal temp gets to 170f I pull it out and wrap it in foil that has some turbinado sugar(2or3 TBSP) and some apple juice(3oz.) in the bottom.  Seal the foil real good and back in the smoker until the internal reaches about 190f but not more than 190f.  FTC for several hours then its ready.  Collect the juices from the foil and put them in the freezer so the fat will come to the top.  Discard the fat.  Mix those juices with your favorite bbq sauce.  slice the brisket across the grain(very important) dredge the slices in the sauce/juice stuff and serve hot ;D.  This is more ramblings than anything but I feel sure you won't have pot roast here ;D.  Oh yea the point.  when the flat is done remove the point and cube it into 1" pieces.  Mix with a generous amount of  your favorite Q sauce in a foil pan and return to the snoker for 2-4 more hours at 250.  When they are kinda jerky like you are done.  I hope this helps make your brisket better.     
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.