• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken - 10% solution

Started by iahkaferoaster, November 09, 2006, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahkaferoaster

I did not notice until just now, after preparing my brine, that the chickens my wife brought from the store after VERY careful label scrutiny were sitting in a 10% solution.  Gulping that my brine will have to wait I am going to prepare a sodium free dry rub. And the brine was a culinary work of art. ahhhhhhh

How long will a brine keep in the frig? Or will I have to toss it?
I hunt, therefore I eat.

jaeger

iahk,
I am not sure how long your brine will last. I would try to use it within a week if it were up to me to decide.
If you are talking about poultry with sodium phosphate added (as the 10%) solution that you mentioned, you will be hard pressed to find any that isn't. Almost all poultry, fresh or frozen has phosphate added. If you can find organic poultry, you shouldn't have to deal with the added phosphate.

iceman

Quote from: iahkaferoaster on November 09, 2006, 04:31:19 PM
I did not notice until just now, after preparing my brine, that the chickens my wife brought from the store after VERY careful label scrutiny were sitting in a 10% solution.  Gulping that my brine will have to wait I am going to prepare a sodium free dry rub. And the brine was a culinary work of art. ahhhhh

How long will a brine keep in the frig? Or will I have to toss it?
Like jaeger says: If the brine doesn't contain any "FRESH" spices it will last at least a week in the fridge. I say this without knowing what water source you have and what they use to treat it so take this with a "grain of salt" no pun intended. :)

iahkaferoaster

We have chickens running around the ranch house, but my wife considers them pets. And man I am tellin you I would catch holy mule fritters if she even suspect me of bamboozling one of her "pets". I will just have one of the local groceries order some for me when I know I am gonna use them. Thank you very much Iceman and Jaeger for your wisdom.

I hunt, therefore I eat.

iceman

Quote from: iahkaferoaster on November 09, 2006, 07:36:13 PM
We have chickens running around the ranch house, but my wife considers them pets. And man I am tellin you I would catch holy mule fritters if she even suspect me of bamboozling one of her "pets". I will just have one of the local groceries order some for me when I know I am gonna use them. Thank you very much Iceman and Jaeger for your wisdom.

I have an "EX WIFE" because of a mistaken "PET" shooting so I know what you are getting at. You are a wise man to get them from the store. Do you at least get the fresh eggs? ;D

coyote

I hope he uses the eggs. Ya just can't beat a boneless chicken dinner ;D

Coyote

iahkaferoaster

When I come across a egg, is by stroke of luck. The chickens are not to selective where they let one go. Even with that, I am batting 50/50 the egg is even good. But, we do get a dozen good ones or so a week out of the "Hen Hilton".  ;D
I hunt, therefore I eat.