Brisket Finally

Started by MRH, May 13, 2007, 06:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Many here will smoke cook the brisket from start to finish without wrapping in foil.  Some will wrap in foil after the desired internal temp is reached and then FTC it.  Some will wrap in foil with some liquid after the 4 hours of smoke and bring the brisket to the desired IT and then let it rest for the FTC period.  I fall into the last category for the most part. 

I'll go out on a limb here ( I personally have not done enough variations or tests on many briskets that puts me on the limb) and say the time is more of a tenderizer than temperature.  After the connective tissue break down, the time holding there is what helps the falling apart.  This is basically supported by the "Low and Slow" mantra.  With the wrap in foil after the smoke has finished rolling, I typically end up with very moist and tender brisket.  A few times the briskets have been so tender that I couldn't get clean slices out of it and my knives are sharp enough to shave with. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MRH on May 16, 2007, 07:30:09 PM
So we have been eating on this brisket, just making sandwiches using Icemans sauce, it makes a he11 of a good sandwich ;D Is there any other ways that you guys recommend eating it?

Mark

With my left over brisket, I've used it in chilli; burritos, tacos, fried rice, stews, soups and what ever you can use left over meat in. I've even chopped the meat in a food processor to make sloppy joes. My favorite way is to prepare a foil pouch, place as much slice brisket in the pouch as you need (just don't pile more then two slices high) add 1/4" of a mixture of equal parts apple cider and beef broth, and place it an 350°F preheated oven or on a grill. Serve with mash potatoes and corn. You can also add vegetables to the pouch, and/or uses your own favorite sauce. Reynolds make pre-made foil pouches. They cost more then making your own, but the foil is much heavier, works well on grills, and cuts down on preparation time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: MRH on May 16, 2007, 07:30:09 PM
So we have been eating on this brisket, just making sandwiches using Icemans sauce, it makes a he11 of a good sandwich ;D Is there any other ways that you guys recommend eating it?

Mark

I like to put some briskit on crusty rolls and sop the briskit juice up with em.........yum-o

nepas

Oldman

Quote from: kiyotei on May 16, 2007, 10:16:57 PM
that is one beautiful brisket!  Do you guys recommend wrapping the meat in foil once you pass the 160 mark, and continue cooking till it hits about 180 to get the proper tenderness?  Is there a temp point where the meat starts to fall apart so much you can't slice it, or is it more time based?
I smoke mine 4 hours. Then remove it and place it into a aluminum pan. Add apple juice and cover with foil. Return to smoker until it hits 185F. Then FTC it until it hits 190F.  If you take it to 225F plus it will turn more into pulled beef, and not really slice-able.  Your Target temp for the finished item is 190F.

BTW While many like the flat:

I like the point also known as the deckial:

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!