First Try At St Louis Ribs

Started by dburanich, October 14, 2007, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburanich

Well I took delivery of my DBS this week and decided to make some St Louis Ribs. I applied the rub the night before and took them out of the referigerator in the early morning to get to room tempereature. Put them on at 10 AM at 200 degrees (bone down) with smoke on for 4 hours. Sprayed apple juice on at about 1 hour intervals. Checked the internal temp of the ribs (165 dregrees) and took them off at about 5 PM. Very tasty, better than my ones that I have cooked on my gas grill but still a little more chewy than I would have like them. No falling off the bone here. I have a feeling I may have wanted to let the internal temp get a little higher. Maybe cook at a little higher temp also. One thing I did notice though, when I moved the ribs, I noticed that the bone side which was down was very very moist, much moister than the top side. I am not sure if this was because the moisture coming off the bowl was directly below the bone side of the  the ribs or it was just the internal juices from the ribs coming through.

Malc

After the smoking period, you could try wrapping them in foil with a spray of apple juice for a couple of hours, then finish on the grill.  They will fall off the bone.  Just don't go too long in the foil, or you will be eating pulled pork instead of ribs.  Still looking for a rule of thumb as to how long to leave them.  I have read that when the meat shrinks back from the bone they are ready.  I have also heard that when the just start to tear from their own weight when you pick up one end they are done.  Somebody will chime in I'm sure.  Anyway, the more times you try, the more ribs you get to eat. ;D
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

West Coast Kansan

Malc, Great description of done  ;D Meat pulled back from the end. Not sure about tearing when you lift a slab but if you twist one of the bones like you were going to rotate it and the meat just starts to pull away without real turning effort ... it is time for ribs  ;D  ;D

When you eat them you want to use your teeth but the bone should come clean.  White bones with bbq ends is the end of a perfect meal  :D

:-[ now if i could just capture the flavors i want  :-\ Oh well Iceman's sauce sure has been a great find for any ribs.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Stickbowcrafter

Good advice. Try again and post some pics for us.

-Brian