• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thanksgiving Turkey

Started by Duster, November 04, 2007, 04:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Duster,
That was some fast moving turkey to blurr out on yah.  Time to ask the Mrs. for a new faster camera with super stop motion so you can really capture the action.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Duster;
What was the total time in the smoker?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Duster

I here ya giz those camera phones arnt the best quality, sorry.
Habb they were in the smoker for about 13 hours. I had a lot of things staked against me though, I kept the vent open all the way to try to dry out the skin, It was only about 20 degrees outside, and I had the Bradly running off an extension cord witch it handled it but I know that it's not ideal.

Habanero Smoker

After awhile you can start to close the vent, when most of the moisture had dissipated. It's hard to explain, but once you do it a couple of times you will know when you can start to close the vent. Hold your hand over the vent, and you can tell the difference in how much moisture is still in the hot air.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

I ended up doing two 13lb. turkeys.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think I could have fit anything bigger than that in there laid breast side up on the racks.  It took about twelve hours in the smoker.  I wasn't in any hurry thank God.  I did pop them in the oven for a bit to crisp the skin, so I guess more like 11.5 hours in the smoker.  I actually smoked them for three hours and used cherry for the first time.  Very nice flavor on poultry. 
  No idea what the box temp was.  I kept the slider pretty much all the way over.  My calibrated door thermometer was no help.  I couldn't find an arrangement that didn't involve the thermometer jabbing the bird.  I just monitored the internal temp and kept rotating the racks every few hours.  It was kind of fun actually.  Early I was worried I would poison everybody, but of course that didn't happen.  It was enjoyed by all. ;D
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.