• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I finally have a turkey success story!! more

Started by SmokinMoe, January 03, 2008, 01:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

After 3 years of trying, I finally got my Thanksgiving Turkey right!!
The first year, I didn't understand the brining process, and I brined a whole turkey for two days. It was pretty much a rock of salt, lol, although my husband, who is a salt fanatic, said it was edible.
Second year, I tried frying it, but I just couldn't get over how fast it was, so I kept it in too long thinking they just couldn't be right about the time. It was overcooked.
This year, not wanting to waste alot of money on a turkey I was sure to ruin, I decided to brine a turkey breast. 
I did the brine called "Summer Brine Turkey" that Snap suggested, after researching turkey, etc. off the site, and then I smoked it for 9 hours.  It was the BEST turkey I have ever had!! The juices were running all over the place when we carved it and I couldn't believe it was just white meat because it was so juicy!!
It totally brought my confidence back in smoking in the Bradley.  No one could say a bad thing about it, so now I have been redeemed!!
I know it was Thanksgiving, but I just have some time to let you know. 
Hope you all had a great Christmas and will have a great New Year.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

KyNola

Congrats Moe!  Glad you hit one out of the park.  That's enough to make you really go to town now.  I smoked my first turkey over Xmas and came it out real well too.  This forum was a big help to me.

KyNola

La Quinta

Way to go Moe!!! The possibilities are now endless!! :) Congratulations!

Wildcat

Congradulations.  I smoke turkey and chicken breasts also but have not yet tried the brine route.  Good results without the brine, but I would imagine the meat would be more juicy with it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Cunuck

Hi smokey, today is a first for both of us!!!!! This is my very first post on this site and I smoked my very first turkey breast ever!!! I have some pics to show how it turmed out! nuy not sure how to upload them here. It came our more fantasitic then I ever imagined! this is my first ever tasting of a REAL smoked turkey and I can tell you I will be smoking a whole lot more of them now!! It came out more juicy then I thought possible!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Cunuck and congradulations.  Hope to see many good posts from you.  Your photo's need to be hosted.  I use photobucket (it is free) and then link them here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Cunuck

Hi All! thx Wildcat! I have been reading the posts here for about a week and really like the way everyone make newbies feel welcomed!! I am going to checkout the site and hopefully will post the pics very soon!! My brother in law brought over some elk yesterday, so you know what I am smoking today! breakfast sausages and Keilbasa !!!! can't wait to taste them!!

Cunuck

Cunuck

Hello All, here are the pics of my first smoked turkey!

Gizmo

Quote from: Cunuck on January 06, 2008, 03:54:16 PM
My brother in law brought over some elk yesterday

Don't forget the Jerky.  Don't think I have ever had any better jerky than that from some fresh Elk.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Cunuck

Hi Gizmo, I have not made jerky before, but I am interested in making some! I have been looking over how to make it and keep reading how easy it is! I still have half a roast of Elk left and can get more. My brother inlaw loved the sausages though and told me I can have as much Elk as I want!  :D

Here are a couple pics of the sausage. the sausages on the top have been cold smoked for four hours and are ready to be cooked any way you want now! the others were hot amoked with Hickory briquettes until an internal temp of 160 degrees.

Gizmo

Any time you have too much just let me know and I'll send you the shipping address.  That looks great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta