• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Question

Started by qcrowner, May 25, 2008, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcrowner

Hi everyone,

Well I have a wild turkey in the smoker right now.  I found a apple cider brine recipe, and the turkey sat in the brine for about 12 hrs.  The I put apples and pears in the cavity and injected the turkey with some marinade.  I also put bacon over the turkey for added moisture since wild turkey's tend to dry out quickly.  I didn't take pics before I put it in the smoker but I promise to take pics of it when I pull it out if it turns out ok.

Now for my question,  The temp of the turkey shot up to 122 F in about an hour.  Does that seem normal?  Or could I have the probe on a bone?  I was figuring this bird would be in for 10-12 hrs.  I have the bradley set at 200 F.

Thanks for your help.

FLBentRider

Whenever I get a temp that doesn't "Make sense" I try a different spot.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

It's possible if that is all that is in the smoker. Keep in mind that brine meats tend to cook faster than unbrined.

What is the size of the turkey. You didn't indicate where your probe was located. Is it is in the thigh or breast? If it's the breast, then that will reach temperatures much faster then the thigh. Also at 200°F, you can figure anywhere from 3-6 hours total time, depending on the size of the bird, ambient temperature and other weather conditions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

qcrowner

Habanero,

I was not able to weigh the bird, but it is in the 15 to 18 lb range.  I put the probe in the thigh.  Do you think I should lower the temp?  Right now it is at 141 and has been in for about 5 hrs.  It was supposed to rain today, so I set up in the garage with the door open.  Now it is beautiful out, muggy and about 70, with a breeze to the north.  The neighbors to the north don't like me today.  ;D  Let me know what you think.  The recipe that I used, called for a the smoker to be set at 205 for a temp, but like I said I used 200.

Thanks for the help.

Habanero Smoker

I would use a higher cabinet temperature. There is no reason to do poultry low and slow, unless you are smoking to preserve, and not just for the flavor. I haven't smoke wild fowl, but when I smoke domestic birds I get the smoker up to at least 225°F to get it up to the proper internal temperature as soon as possible. Again I can't tell you want the internal temperature should be, domestic birds I smoke/cook until an internal temperature of 165°F measured in the thigh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

qcrowner

I turned it up to 230, the temp of the bird had been staying around 147, and just went to 150.  I have the cheap gauge from oregon scientific where you can't program the temp.  The temp it has programmed for turkey is 180.  But I agree that 165 is probably good.  By the way, this gauge will be replaced soon.

Thanks for the help.

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to ask what are you using to monitor the cabinet temperature, sometimes I presume that everyone is using the ET-73. If you are using the gauge built into the smoker, that's generally does not give you an accurate reading of the cabinet temperature where the food is located.

With the programed probes sometimes if you select Beef Well Done, or Pork Well Done; they are usually programmed around the temperature you want to cook poultry at.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Carter

Hi QCrowner,

I'm really interested in your post.  In the last few years, we've started to see a lot of these wild turkey's near my family's cottage (Balsam Lake, in Ontario).  I've wondered it they were good to eat, but I've been told they're not that good compared to our traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas Turkey.

I'd like to hear your point of view or anyone elses on the topic.

Thanks

Carter

Wildcat

Much leaner meat and can get pretty tough.  Good flavor IMHO.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

I have a friend that turkey hunts.  His wife would not eat store bought turkey.  She loves wild turkey (not the drink). 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

qcrowner

Carter,

Wild Turkey can be a tough thing to fix because they dry out quickly.  The way that I smoked my bird on Sunday, gave the bird excellent flavor and did not have any gamey taste.  It really tasted like a traditional bird.  I think that they are very good to eat.  My in-laws can all of their wild turkeys because they fear drying out the bird and then they use it for caseroles.

Anytime you eat game animals they have a different taste from our traditional ways, for some it is an acquired taste and some simply don't like the taste.

qcrowner

Habanero,

I don't have the Maverick E-73.......Yet.  I am going to order one this week.  I was going off of the bradley for my cabinet temp, which I believe is part of the reason it took so long.