• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Sausage

Started by mbcijim, December 08, 2004, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbcijim

I just bought my smoker a month ago.  A bunch of us got together & decided we would butcher our deer together.  I got assigned to buy the smoker.  

So, Sunday, we stuffed our sausage.  Last night, I attempted to smoke it & use my BS for the 1st time.  BTW - the sausage is 66% deer 33% pork.

This is what I did - put sausage in BS - turned on heating element raised the internal temp of meat to 110 (I think the smoker was around 120 or so).  This took about 2 hours.  

Turned on smoke (I am using Maple) for 2 hours, raised the meat temp to 165, I think the air was at 210.  Turned temp down, let smoke another 1/2 hour and removed.  Sprinkled with water per directions till meat was 110, then refridgerated.  

I will try the meat tonight.  

Anyone have any tips on good or bad what I did?  It was around 15 lbs of sausage.  Some of the sausage casings are dark reddish brown, the other a mid brown, not that different from when I started.  I did smoke out the smoker for 1st time use before putting in the sausage.  I have 2 more batches to smoke, so any help would be really appreciated!

nsxbill

All you have to do to get rid of the duplicate posts is open each one and click the trashcan.   Voila, it's gone.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

whitetailfan

What you say sounds pretty good.  I like that you heated for awhile before applying smoke.  I feel it is very important to have a dry casing!

Otherwise, I would only question your air temp of 210deg.  I smoke at no hotter than 180deg.  You have to watch that you don't start to melt/render your fat content.

Do a topic search.  There is a good thread around here by Bassman on venison sausage.

HTH

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

Did my first bologna a couple of weeks ago.  I had ordered the Hi-Mtn.
old fashioned bologna kit.  I followed the directions and one of the main things was bologna out of fridge for at least 2 hrs.  Slow cook at 120°f for 1 hr or until outside casing is dry.  Increase heat to 160° with 2 hours worth of smoke.  Raise temp to 180°f and finish until internal temp is 150°f with more smoke if desired.  Turned out with good flavor but pretty dry(I removed all the fat I could from the beef 80% and the pork 20%, mistake).  So my question is how long did your sausage take?  The bologna was in a <font color="red">2 1/2</font id="red">inch casing and I used a polder thermometer stuck through the long end where you tie the casing.  It took 18hrs to reach temp. of <font color="red">156°f</font id="red">(The battery was fresh[;)].  I'm trying my second go round tonight and will not remove all the fat.  Anyone have any tips?

<font color="red">Tonight I ground up 2lb. beef tri-tip and 1 lb. pork butt and here she is all snuggled in her nice new home waiting to be smoked tomorrow[:D]</font id="red">

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

mbcijim

Whitetailfan - thanks for your tips I did a search and found out some more info.  I will definitly keep the heat down and not rise the temp so fast tonight.

BTW - I got to eat some this morning.  Good and smoky.  Didn't quite taste like smoked sausage, but I think that had more to do with our recipe.

Bigsmoker - It took 2 hours of drying @ 110 - no smoke.
Then 2 hours of smoke getting the internal temp up to 165, then I turned temp down for 1/2 hour and removed.  So my total was 4.5 hours heating including 2.5 hours of smoking.

From the reading I have done, summer sausage takes much longer than regular sausage.  My sausage is only 1.25" thick while your sausage is 2.5" thick[:I].  It is going to take you A LOT LONGER than me just by physics.  In terms of fat, you learned your lesson there - you add the pig butts because they are the fattiest piece of meat around and you need that fat for the taste.  Venison by it's nature is very lean.

When I did a search for venison sausage, I found someone else had theirs in for around 5 hours - hope that helps.