• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Salmon Storage

Started by smokin_up_north, July 28, 2008, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin_up_north

Just bought my Bradley digital smoker on Saturday, buying some salmon and ingredients to get the cure going tonight.  I've already read a bunch of suggestions and recipe's throughout the forum and I think I have a good idea on what I want to try.  Going to keep it simple, at least for the first attempt.  Going to do a salt, water, sugar cure for about 5-6 hours tonight, then smoke it tomorrow evening after it sets.

My question is about storage though.  If I can perfect my recipe before the weekend, I'm hoping to bring a couple large fillets to my family reunion.  What's a good way to keep the smoked salmon nice and tasty without going dry, or getting to soggy?  I was thinking of wrapping in newspaper or something, but not sure if I should have it wrapped in plastic instead.

Thanks in advance!

pensrock

Vacuum seal. Works great.
You should allow the brined salmon to dry before putting into the smoker. I put mine on inverted smoker racks and put in the fridge uncovered. It will probably take at least a day, I have been letting it dry for two days.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokin_up_north!

I am not well-versed in fish, but pensrock has got you hooked up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokin_up_north

Thanks for the advice.  I want to try a smoke tomorrow evening, so it should have about 18 hours of rest after I take it out of the brine.  I might have to put the fan on it for a few hours to speed things up a little more as well.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum s_u_n!

I'm with FL, not much help with fish, I have done Kummoks salmon a couple of times and had visions of moving to alaska (its to die for) just not much mesquite up there!  ;D  Your vac sealer will become one of your best friends!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Quotehad visions of moving to alaska

Funny you mention that, I'm looking real hard at trying to go next summer. I keep telling everyone that I may not return once I get there.  ;D

westexasmoker

Yep been to Seattle a couple of times for work, fell in love with that countryside...came back home and told the wife ya know I did'nt see one good Q shack up there I think its time to move and open one...She said 'See ya'

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

QuoteShe said 'See ya'

Texas girl I see?  :D

Kummok

Yer gettin' some good advice here S.U.N.! I've found over the years that the product doesn't taste as good, to most "samplers", right outta the smoker as it does AFTER being vac sealed and frozen. Can't go wrong with vac sealing and fridge'ing before taking to the family reunion (in my family, it's called a gathering o' the clan or a pow wow or a fur rondy, depending upon which branch of the family is risking a get together!)

Your proposed use of a fan is highly recommended.....don't know how far up "North" you're smoking but I've found that the fan REALLY helps with the pellicle forming regardless of the ambient temps.....  Be prepared to be REALLY popular at your reunion!

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Kummok on July 29, 2008, 10:52:11 AM
(in my family, it's called a gathering o' the clan or a pow wow or a fur rondy, depending upon which branch of the family is risking a get together!)
risking a get together :D  :D  :D lotta fun loving sounds like...
I am open to Adoption - I doubt you have much interest in growing your family but just wanted you to know - just in case  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Kummok

God has blessed us with an "extended family" that is very large and constantly growing....All are welcome (at least once! ;) ) at our campfire!!