Chicken Breast Question

Started by Dex, January 02, 2009, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

I will probably be smoking quite a bit of boneless chicken breast now (due to diet.) Im concerned about them drying out while smoking. Has anyone smoked just plain chicken breast? I would like to do it all in the smoker, but if I have to fire the grill up to finish I will.

Dex

Smokin Soon

I like to lay a couple of strips of bacon over the breasts, has a little basting effect without adding any fat.

Smoking Duck

If because of the diet you have to cut out bacon, I would not worry about them drying out too much.  I'd marinate in a healthy marinade, maybe inject them and then finish on the grill.  If, you don't have to cut out bacon, than by all means....use bacon.  It's nature's way of saying........yum!

Sd

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

I'm with SD about the marinade.  And I might go with boneless thighs.  I've been an almost exclusive "front-quarter" man (I'm not going to set ya'll up that easily) since a small boy, but smoked boneless thighs are pretty darn good eats.  Sams has these big packages and they take to marinading and smoke very well.  I've probably done 60+ pounds in the last 3 months for various events.  Got 2nd place with a lime/garlic/cilantro marinade, but have also done well with green chili/garlic/cilantro or a chipolte/garlic flavored marinade also, and of course the classic tequila/lime ain't half bad.  Sometimes it's just a good Italian Salad dressing for the marinade.  Sometimes sprinkled with Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning (from Sam's).  If boneless breasts, I'd stuff or inject or brine.  Not that they can't be done, but I don't think I have ever had one smoked without some sort of extra that wasn't on the dry side.  They work grilled over a real smokey fire - I do chicken fajitas like that all the time.  Marinade with a combo of Dale's, Worcesteshire, lemon or lime juice and some jalapeno juice with maybe a shake of granulated garlic, cumino, and cracked pepper.  I usually dunk them again once when I turn them over and when they come off, I sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice on them.  The thighs work with that treatment also.  Just don't marinate either the thighs or the other "pieces" too long with anything with a lot of acid in it - could make them mushy - especially the thighs.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I'm not a fan of chicken breast, but I have smoked them for others. If your diet does not include restrictions on sodium, your best bet would be brining. Marinades will generally give you flavor but not help with moisture retention (though injecting may help); unless the marinade has a lot of salt then it could be classified as a brine.

Another suggestion is to only cook your breast to 150°F - 155°F. That will ensure that they do not dry out. Chicken and turkey breast are safe to eat at this temperature. Cold smoking is another option, then after the smoke has been applied you can prepare the breast any way you would like; such as steaming; poaching, pouch cooking etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dex

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 03, 2009, 02:03:40 AM
I'm not a fan of chicken breast, but I have smoked them for others. If your diet does not include restrictions on sodium, your best bet would be brining. Marinades will generally give you flavor but not help with moisture retention (though injecting may help); unless the marinade has a lot of salt then it could be classified as a brine.

Another suggestion is to only cook your breast to 150°F - 155°F. That will ensure that they do not dry out. Chicken and turkey breast are safe to eat at this temperature. Cold smoking is another option, then after the smoke has been applied you can prepare the breast any way you would like; such as steaming; poaching, pouch cooking etc.

HS -

I thought about a cold smoke. Then I could wrap in foil and put in the oven which will help retain juices. OR, Ziplock makes those microwave bags that you can cook chicken in. Cold smoke, and a simply finish in the microwave and I bet it will come out very juicy this way. It is almost like steam cooking it. (Not to mention how quickly it cooks)

I've never smoked chicken breast. Im assuming I dont want to smoke for a long time. Maybe 1 hour 2o minutes? What would you suggest? And probably apple or a milder smoke I would guess?

Habanero Smoker

I've seen the microwave steaming bags. It looks like they would work. Sealing them in aluminum foil, you can add some vegetables with it. For the first time, I would apply 1:00 - 1:20 hours of smoke, you can always adjust up next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

Dex, we have used Hot Smokin' Gal's recipe for pork chops when we have smoked chicken breasts, and they turn out wonderfully.  It can be found under Time Tested Recipes.
They don't take much time at all.  We smoked an entire bag of chicken breasts, and used them in all kinds of dishes.

Seemore

deb415611

Quote from: seemore on January 03, 2009, 06:16:26 PM
Dex, we have used Hot Smokin' Gal's recipe for pork chops when we have smoked chicken breasts, and they turn out wonderfully.  It can be found under Time Tested Recipes.
They don't take much time at all.  We smoked an entire bag of chicken breasts, and used them in all kinds of dishes.

Seemore

Seemore - great idea,  I have done the pork chops but never thought to use chicken breasts instead

Thanks,
Deb

seemore

Deb, we tried the pork chops and loved them so much we decided to use the same recipe to smoke chicken breasts.
We needed smoked chicken breasts for a particular recipe we wanted to try, and thought we would try this one.
It worked quited well!  We have even thinly sliced some of the smoked chicken breasts for sandwiches.

Seemore and the Mrs.

deb415611

I bet the sliced chicken breast would be great on salad.

Smokin Soon

The one good thing about chicken breast is that you cannot loose! If It's a little dry because you cooked it too long [and I'm guilty of that] Chicken Salad is the best!!