Time for some rump!

Started by Smoking Duck, January 09, 2009, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

OK, here's the finished results.  Sorry they took so long.  Hard to believe, but I've been kind of busy.  Been doing a lot of this, among other things.  This was their first time "helping" me.  I'm glad they're starting to pay off.  Been thinking all they were good for was eating too much and using way too much toilet paper  ;D

OK, here's the rump in the marinade.  The marinade is a really good one and will use it again.  I liked the flavor it imparted with the smoke on the beef:

And here's the finished product after smoking at 205F until an IT of 145F and a 2.5 hour of FTC.  I changed my mind at the last minute and did 4 hours of smoke with the Jim Beam bisquettes because I was really curious as to the smoke the JB would produce.  I really liked the smell and flavor of the JB bisquettes and will definitely use them again.

All things being said, I wasn't happy at all with the finished product.  It was very tough (by my standards anyways) after the smoke and FTC.  Could have been the cut of beef, could have been it was just a tough cow.  Next time I do this, as soon as the smoke stops rolling, it will go in the slow cooker with more of the red wine marinade.  I've done beef many times in the Bradley and this is my first piece to come out tougher than normal.  That being said, I really liked the marinade and the flavor of the smoke.  Additionally, had a side of corn as well as Syracuse Salted Potatoes.  The potatoes came out awesome as they ever do and they were gone in a heartbeat.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Thats a mighty fine looking rump ya got there SD!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

As hard as this may be to believe, I'm gonna let this one pass with nary an outrageous statement  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 11, 2009, 01:35:56 PM
As hard as this may be to believe, I'm gonna let this one pass with nary an outrageous statement  ;D

Hard to believe is an understatement!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Always keep 'em guessing, FL, always keep em guessing.

Caneyscud

See no Evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil is always my motto! 

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

It certainly looks good SD!  8)

Hey, it's always nice to have the helpers when your movin' the white stuff too!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Man, I've lived a sheltered life - I have never seen that much snow! 

Shakespeare.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

I do think it looked good but that was it.  It wasn't inedible by any means, just not as tender as I would have liked.  I have a tendancy to be harder on the stuff I make, though.  

Yea, it was nice.  However, they waited until I got it just about done.  Prior to that, they were building snow tunnels.  But, they're only young once, so I enjoyed watching them play.  I had my time, their time is now.  I do let the 10 year old drive the tractor a little when I'm cutting the grass and he enjoys that as well.  But, he's bigger (almost 5' and 120 pounds).  The little girl just doesn't weigh enough to keep the mower engaged when the mowing attachment is on it, so this was her time to shine  ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 11, 2009, 02:54:24 PM
Man, I've lived a sheltered life - I have never seen that much snow! 

Shakespeare.

This is nothing for us, Shake.  Only got about 10" in a 2 day period.  You should check out some other places (Alaska, Upstate New York, etc).  Now they get some serious snow.  We do pick up a lot of lake-effect but not so bad this year.  Been colder than normal and a lot of freezing rain but not so much snow.  We are however under a winter storm watch until Tuesday evening, so maybe we'll get some more soon.

SD

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 11, 2009, 03:00:39 PM
  We are however under a winter storm watch until Tuesday evening, so maybe we'll get some more soon.

SD

Duck That will change. Since your a day behind me in weather. You are going to get the BLIZZARD WATCH that we have in effect until Tues.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!