Time for some rump!

Started by Smoking Duck, January 09, 2009, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Someone had asked previously about smoking a beef roast, so, I decided to do a rump roast.  Here's the marinade that it is now sitting in for the night:

1/3 cup Olive Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup red wine (dry)
1 tsp. ketchup
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 sprig of rosemary (I substitue with 1/2 tsp of ground rosemary)
1/2 tsp. salt
Black pepper
1 small onion
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire

I omitted the onion on this one (well, omit is a strong word......just plum forgot is more like it  ;D)

My 7 year old daughter (who has now decided she wants to be a chef when she grows up) was my sous-chef for the making of the marinade.  Once I had all the items in the bowl, I used an immersion blender to mix it all together.  Will post pics of the smoke tomorrow which will be at 205F with hickory/maple combo until an IT of 140-145 and then FTC for a couple of hours.  Going to compliment this with a side of corn and Syracuse Salted Potatoes.

So, what does the sous-chef think of this? 

More pics tomorrow!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Hey, I need to borrow your sous chef from time to time.  Mine have been gone for a few years now.  I can pay in trips to the Wild Animal Park, The Zoo, and Sea World. 

Well actually, the only thing my yard apes were good at is making Swedish Lemon Angel Cookies.

Have your sous chef put this recipe together, just make sure your video camera is rolling.

This is a recipe from Penn and Teller
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=251983
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Duck

send her my way i can pay with jerky if she can move the snow from the deck so i can get to my smoker.

nepas

HCT

SD, you're lucky to have a beautiful sous chef working for ya. I'm sure the roast came out great too. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

SD,

I want to borrow her too although I can't compete with Giz.  I can take her to NY or Boston though - Bronx Zoo, New England Aquarium, New England Carousel Museum,  Red Sox Game,  all the pizza she can eat! 

and I won't make her shovel snow  ;)

Deb

Smoking Duck

All that want to borrow the sous-chef........be careful what you wish for.  This sous-chef has a unique ability to be so exasperating that she could make Jesus cuss, yet at the same time make you laugh your butt off so as it is impossible to punish.   ;D

Actually, if I told her of the offers, she'd be in her room right now packing for her trip.  She'd take them all in a heartbeat as (in her own words), she "doesn't get out much socially." 

I do guarantee a laughing good time while preparing the food however.  In addition, as part of the package, I have a 10 year old boy who would accompany the sous-chef.  He doesn't help in any other way except to eat the food.  He fancies himself as a "food cleaner" and is trying to figure out a way in which he could make a living doing that.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 10, 2009, 05:31:08 AM
He doesn't help in any other way except to eat the food.  He fancies himself as a "food cleaner" and is trying to figure out a way in which he could make a living doing that.

SD

If he ever figures out how to make a living at it let me know! I have many years of... "consumption excellence" myself!

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

You know, I try to teach my kids to set goals.......I just wish he had set his bar a little higher  ;D

Mike, I think you and I (and a bunch of others on here) would have to have a rotational "Grand Poobah" title on that occupation  ;) ;D

Tenpoint5

Duck I'll trade you sous-chef for sous-chef. Only you get another boy and my 9yr old daughter would get the little sister that she has been wanting. He even likes sitting in a deer blind for hours at a time!! All 4 of mine wanted a little brother or sister for X-mass. That aint gonna happen Papa dun been to the Vet!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Funny, 10.5.  My daughter has always wanted a bigger sister.  She keeps inquiring into the possibility of trading the 10 year old in for a sister.  We get the obligatory asking for a little brother or sister as well.  I told them that after they were born, Daddy ripped out the plumbing.  The spigot doesn't run anymore  ;D  And thank goodness......at times that little girl has driven me bananas.

True story here.........my daughter was 3 years old at the time........I was watching a Steeler game in my Lazy Boy....she had the room an absolute mess.  I said "Kennadee, you need to pick this room up now."  So, she replies, "That sucks!"  Well, I was taken aback by this because I didn't know she knew the word or meaning at 3 years of age.  I continued the conversation with, "What did you just say to me, young lady?"  and without skipping a beat, she turns around to face me and takes her hand, rubbing it on my cheek and replies (while batting her eyes), "Well, hello, handsome!"  Now, I gotta tell you that I had the hardest time not trying to laugh.  First of all, her mother doesn't even use that move and now my 3 year old is?  Then I got scared and realized that my entire goal for that girl would be to keep her off of the stripper's pole!  ;D

SD

seemore

She is a beauty, and you are going to have MANY a sleepless night once she begins dating.........
I don't have kids, so I don't think I would be a good influence on any, other than maybe showing them the fine art of toilet papering a house, sneaking in a bottle or two of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill wine to a sleepover.........
Seriously, you are starting her out well on her career path!  She will be quite the chef when she begins! 
And I APPLAUD her ability to woo her way out of housework!  Way to go Kennadee!!!!!!!
Mrs S

Smoking Duck

I know, Mrs............trying to get a leg up on my sleep now for the future.  The part I like about her the most is her independent spirit....my only hope is that she keeps it and stands up to the peer pressure that is sure to come her way.  I remember what I was like in high school........and from what I hear, future generations only get worse  :o

Gizmo

SD,
Let me know if you have your daughter try the Sweedish Lemon Angles.  Don't forget to have the camera rolling.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Giz,

Her birthday is coming up in the beginning of February.  We're going to be with some of the wife's family at that time.  I'm going to have her do it then, but I'm not telling anybody else about it. 

I'm giggling right now just thinking about what everybody else is gonna be thinking  ;D  I will definitely have the camera rolling for that.

Thanks for the great idea!

Marc

commonsense

SD,

Hope you get some pics of that on today I would like to make that myself.

If anyone has any advice on beef ribs i'll take it.

Commonsense