Kippers

Started by tmgr, January 06, 2005, 11:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmgr

Herring season is upon us here on the west coast of British Columbia!

Does anyone have a good receipe for good old scotch kippers? [:p]

Thanks,  Trev

JJC

Hi Trev,

Welcome to the Forum.  I don't anything about smoking kippers, and there's not a lot on this Forum on that topic.  However, if you go to the following thread:

http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46&SearchTerms=kippers

there may be some useful info, especially on the first page.  the second page digresses into humor, as happens from time to time here . . .  Let us know how it turns out!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

Welcome TMGR! Nice to see another Wet Coaster. In answer to your question about kippered herring, I've never tried it but here is some info that might be helpful. If you have "Smoking Salmon and Trout" by Jack Whelan he has a good section on kipppering. In it he describes kippering as gradually bringing the heat up to condition fish before final hot smoking.  This is essentially what a lot of people do to salmon using Kummok's recipe.(See sticky under fish recipe forum)
Jack gives 2 ways to treat kippered salmon, dry salt or brine but if I was going to do a mess of herring, I would use the excellent brine recipe from the Little Chief smoker book for smelt.
<i></i>Brine
1 cup pickling salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp Worcersteershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder, garlic salt, onion salt
pepper to taste
3 cups of warm water
Brine for 4 hours or more.
Smoke for 2 hours and taste, more if needed using the graduated heat process that Kummok describes in his salmon recipe.
I haven't used this recipe myself but I have tasted the product. In the recipe book, it's called Smokey Smelt--the beer-drinker's friend. I can verify that this is definately true![:D] The stuff I tasted was so good I'm going to buy a gillnet and take a break from catching those salmon by gillnetting for smelt off the beach at Port Renfrew.When I camp on the beach there I go and walk along the beach and talk to all the Portuguese families who have their nets out. Everybody has a fire going and homemade wine and grappa to offer visitors. I usually end up swapping some salmon for a mess of smelt. It's a tough way to spend a summer, but hey, someone's got to do it![8D]
PS Are you jigging your own herring or getting it through the Lion's club?
Tom

tmgr

Thanks for the receipe Tom,

My neighbour is a herring fisherman so I'm hopeing some will "fall off the boat".

Will let you know how it turns out [:p]

Cheers.   Trev

tmgr

Thanks John,

I looked at that receipe and it is some help.  The more info the better.

Cheers,   Trev